Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Front and Center!

Bec, in the comments to a post immediately below, gives us this, and it just HAD to come up front:

I had to bring this over from Big Pharaoh. Big chuckle from me. I love our military! :)

Get over to Big Pharoh, right now! You'll laugh your a$ off. John F(rickin) Kerry won't.

Update 11/02/2006: The story about the photo is here.

Staff Sgt. Erik Holtan, a member of the Minnesota National Guard, says he saw the picture and recognized the insignia as that of his fellow Minnesota guardsmen - and he immediately put it up on his own blog site.

"It's awesome," he told The Post. "The troops over there have to be livid because of what [Kerry] said. I don't know why he would say that."

Holtan, who works at Guard headquarters, said he believes the troops behind the Kerry sign are in Iraq, since all the members of the unit in the shot - the 1/34 Brigade Troops Battalion - have been deployed.

[...]

Without citing sources, ABC News in Washington said the photograph was taken in Talil, several hundred miles south of Baghdad, where members of the unit are located.

Update, 11/02/2006, Part Deux: Victor Davis Hanson, at The Corner:

One of the things I love about America is the spontaneous brilliance and humor that undermine all pretension. No better example was that wonderful banner from our brave and ingenious soldiers in Iraq, blaring:

"HALP US JON CARRY-WE R STUCK [backwards k] HEAR N IRAK."

20 million Americans must have seen it all over the Internet, and nothing sums up the nothingness of Kerryism better than those smiling soldiers. After seeing that, no wonder he's offering deer-in-the headlights apologies. This is a man who remembers everything and learns nothing.

Then there was the finger-in-the wind initial Democratic response: their supposedly slight ill breeze suddenly became a Katrina hurricane, and, Presto!, they were all over the airwaves demanding from poor Kerry the apologies that just a few hours ago they thought were not necessary.

As for Kerry — how quick the 24-hour metamorphosis from smugness to defiance to purported contriteness! At his earlier blame-the-wing-nuts-and-Rush-Limbaugh press conference, he thought he was a strutting, strong-jawed Napoleonic general leading his troops to rout the evil Bush-Cheney Prussians, and then, alone, suddenly turned around — and Mein Gott in Himmel!! — his Old Guard was heading for the hills.

I’d wager many more than 20 million Americans saw this wonderful photo. It was the lead item on several Fox News Channel shows yesterday afternoon/evening.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know where that pic came from or who was the first to post it, but it's everywhere now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immediately after putting this post up I went to memeorandum and it was the lead item. Drudge had it up yesterday afternoon, too. I think it hit sometime around 1400 EST.

    OT, but Gawd, I'm such a slug. I just got up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle sent the picture to me yesterday via email. Then Dale sent it to me today. It is pretty funny, but Dale's email took over 30 minutes for me to get - not quite so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck, That picture was a hoot! It's good to see the whit of the troops!

    Sorry Lou for the delay!

    Buck you are now added to my must reads blog spots! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck you are now added to my must reads blog spots! Great stuff!

    Thanks for the kind comment, Dale. I'm very pleased to have ya aboard...us ol MSgts gotta stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update on where the photo came from. See today's "Day By Day" cartoon for a little more fun on that subject. It's a new feature on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.