Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Curious Encounter

I had to go out to the base this afternoon… mainly because the G-4 told me during today’s staff meeting it was time for a supply run—for fuel, medical supplies, and consumables. (All other areas were 5x5, but those staff guys always tell me that.) So, run I did, making stops at the Class VI store, the gas station, the hospital clinic, and the commissary, not necessarily in that order. I got home about an hour ago.

I had a sorta curious encounter immediately after I pulled into the clinic parking lot. I met Col. Ken Hall, commander of the 27th Medical Group, and had a very pleasant conversation with him while walking from the parking lot into the clinic. The walk was longer than you might think as the clinic has two entrances and two parking lots, one in front, and one in the back of the former hospital, now clinic. I parked in the back lot, which is near the pharmacy, which was where I was going. Unfortunately, the whole damned base was in exercise mode, and the back entrance to the clinic was closed as a result. Col. Hall intercepted me in the parking lot while I was on my way towards the back door and explained I was going to have to go in the front door because of the exercise, offering apologies. He suggested I drive around to the front parking lot but I demurred, saying the walk would do me good.

So, the colonel (who was in uniform, by the way) and I walked all the way around the clinic and went in the front door, about a four minute walk. We introduced ourselves (“Hi! I’m Ken Hall,” sez he, extending his hand) and began chatting. He asked if I was a retiree, when did I retire, what did I do in the AF, what brought me to Cannon, and so on and so forth. As soon as I answered one of his questions he was firing off another. I found it difficult to get a word in edgewise, only barely managing to find out he was the Medical Group commander. Colonels are like that, for the most part. Don’t misunderstand me…the conversation was brief, non-stop, but good. Col. Hall seems like a great guy.

So, what’s curious about that, you ask? You meet people every day, right? Well, yes. But I realized something was different about this encounter as I walked out of the clinic, replaying the conversation I had with Col. Hall. First of all, I replied to all his questions requiring a “yes” or “no” answer with a snappy “Yes, sir” or “No, sir.” Emphasis on the sir. I realized I had immediately fallen into step with the colonel and matched his gait. I was slightly uncomfortable because I was on his right, when I should have been on his left, him being senior and all. In other words, I had fallen back into the role of Buck Pennington, MSgt, USAF, rather than Mr. Buck Pennington. Immediately, unconsciously, and naturally. I find that rather curious, given I’ve been retired from the Air Force for over 21 years.

I haven’t been a sergeant in a helluva long time, in more ways than one. Without going into too much detail, I was extremely fortunate in my civilian career. In the last year of my working life I carried the title of Director (rather miraculously, in retrospect), which is roughly equivalent to a senior field grade officer. Guys like Col. Hall were my peers in civilian life. But during my brief encounter with Col. Hall all that went by the boards and I became a sergeant again. I never even gave it a second thought as it happened, only afterwards. I suppose you can take the sergeant out of the Air Force, but you can’t take the Air Force out of the sergeant. And that’s not all bad.

But...whatever am I going to do when one of the Boys makes Colonel/Captain (USN)? THAT will be interesting!

3 comments:

  1. As I was about to graduate from boot camp, my company commander told me, "You will never be a civilian again."

    Just goes to show, she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad never allowed us to call an adult by a first name. I still feel uncomfortable calling a person older than me by a given name. It probably means that I don't think of myself as an adult:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky: That's true, ya know.

    Lou said: I still feel uncomfortable calling a person older than me by a given name.

    Me, too Lou. But then again, there ain't that many people older than I these days! :-)

    On another note...Maybe that explains all those "sirs" I'm getting these days. I wrote about getting sir-ed to DEATH in San Antonio. A lil disconcerting, that!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.