Friday, September 01, 2006

Motivationally Challenged

So, sitting here…waiting for the flash of inspiration or a reasonable facsimile and nothing…I mean nothing…is coming to me. I’ve scanned memeorandum for suitable blog fodder and the news is all disagreeable; no surprise there. News, by its very nature, is 90% bad. Good news is all-too-rare and seems to be non-existent this morning. {sigh} But the coffee is good. Then again, it’s always good here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington. Without exception. Speaking of coffee…Lileks:

If I were a member of the Kona Coffee Growers Association, I’d consider a class-action suit against the suppliers for the in-room coffee machines, because they're not doing the Kona name any favors. Granted, the prefab packets promise a Kona blend, which could mean they mix ground tail of newt and cigar ash into the stuff. It has a peculiar and particular taste, and after a summer in various motels it’s become the taste of in-room coffee. But it's off-coffee. It's just not right. It has no floor. Then again, all the coffee around here is wrong. Wrong. The waiter explained the other day that they serve Dougbe Edberts, or Douge Housar, or Dougb Frezh, or some such Dutch brand. Which is fine; it's a nice roast. But they serve the reconstituted variety. It's replicator java. They boil down actual real coffee into a potent ichor and stored it for later use; when the time comes, hot water is added to make it whole again. Sorry. That's not coffee. That's a Civil Defense ration for bomb shelters.

Douwe Egberts, James. My coffee of choice whilst in Europe, home away from home. Bought it in a little shop around the corner from the corporate flat I occupied for a short while in London, just two blocks down the way from the London Hard Rock Café. But, I digress.

I am SO with Lileks on the subject of in-room “coffee” provided by the hospitality industry. Uniformly bad, without exception. I learned a trick from my former girlfriend when we were traveling around New Mexico: bring your own. This is somewhat surprising, in retrospect, as in “Why didn’t I think of this?” The Lady had a medium-sized basket in which she packed coffee, filters, sugar, cocoa, creamer, tea bags, and other assorted goodies for our trips; it was a trick she’d been using for years, given the fact she did/does a lot of road work. Solves the problem of bad in-room coffee quite nicely! The other solution is to go out for coffee, but that’s an awkward work-around. However, that’s exactly what I did on my last trip, to Maine. There was a Starbucks located about three minutes outside the gate of Brunswick Naval Air Station, and the gate was about a three minute drive from the BOQ. Each and every morning while in Maine I got up, threw on some clothes, drove to Starbucks, got a grandé drip and motored back to the ‘Q. I even managed to smile at the barrista, no small feat for a non-morning person such as myself. Coffee is that important! And…thank God for Starbucks. I just wish they’d see fit to open a store in P-Town. Fat chance.

I think I’ve mentioned the fact that I’m not a movie person here before; I know my profile says it. So it may come as a minor surprise that I checked out not one, but five DVDs from the Base Library yesterday: LOTR, Parts I – III; Fargo; and the complete second season of South Park. OK, the last doesn’t exactly qualify as a movie, but…Hey! South Park makes me laugh. A lot. And I need more laughs in life…

I watched Fellowship of the Ring last evening and was impressed. Today I’m off to Wally-World to buy some AV cables so I can exploit the full capabilities of my spiffy “progressive scan” DVD player and the HD-capable TV I bought not long ago. Being completely ignorant about the ins and outs of video I (un)naturally assumed all I needed was a standard RF connection between DVD player and TV. Wrong. I need specialized component video cables. OK, we’ll have these. Today. And then I’ll be able to experience the wonderfulness of high-resolution video. Getting back in touch with popular culture just might be fun…

Forgive me, Gentle Reader, but there will be no politics or other news today. I just can’t go there. One needs a bit of a break every so often, and today’s the day. We’ll resume normal programming later in the day (maybe), or tomorrow (much more likely). Gomen, ne?

Today’s Vanity Shot: Yrs Trly, in hippie mode. Berkeley (seriously), CA. February, 2001. A Space Oddity.

14 comments:

  1. Great talk on coffee. Did you prefer the Egbert coffee drip brewed or made with the dreaded "coffee smasher", so popular in London?

    I got into the Hackensack/Swedish coffee's, while I lived at St Katherines dock, London E1. They mailed it to my FPO. We used the Melitta filters. We were popular, Sunday mornings, breakfasting on our boat.

    Btw, I was born in Berkeley, and am USN-Ret. I refuse to grow the required pony tail (no "touch of gray", yet!), and my wife won't let me wear black Motorhead t-shirts!

    Once again, great subject matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, dc, we have more than a bit in common! I'm very familiar with St. Katherine's dock, having stayed at the Tower Hotel numerous times in and out of London! My last stay there was in '94, just before moving into that corporate flat I referenced in today's post. The fact that you lived on boat in St. Katherine's is just TOO, too cool! Musta been great to be you!

    I used the Melitta filters, btw, and brewed the coffeee...no press for me, thank you!

    My fling with the pony tail set only lasted a couple of years. I was active duty all throughout the time when long hair was "in," and my first post-USAF employer had a military style dress code: short hair only. Then I went to work out in SFO...and grew the hair. It didn't last long, tho. Long hair is more trouble than it's worth.

    Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck. Why don't you look into a Starbucks franchise yourself. Sometimes you sound like you need something usefull (actually anything) to do. This way you would always have your favorite coffee, and maybe even some ladies hanging around. I prefer Colombian (Black) myself so I usually don't visit Starbucks myself. But if you had one, I would go N.M. and drink yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan...as far as I know, Starbuck's doesn't franchise...they're all company-owned stores. Believe me, if S-buck's DID do the franchise thing, I'd be there with Bells on!

    And yeah, there always seemed to be lotsa ladies hangin' out in the S-buck's I patronized in SFO...Hell, each and every one I've been in, come to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a Thought pattern developes...
    The BX here on Eglin has a S.B. Kiosk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Duncan hospital has a Starbucks, but who wants to go to the hospital? I'm a coffee latte grande person when I do make it to a Starbucks. Last week I bought some Starbucks coffee at the grocery store - I chose the Italian blend, and it was a good choice. Speaking of Italian coffee, we rented "Avanti", a 1970's Billy Wilder movie with Jack Lemmon and Juliet Mills. We thought it would be a fun movie because of the cast and the setting was Italy. The only thing funny was when Jack Lemmon tried to drink the Italian coffee. It reminded us of being in Italy and longing for American coffee - go figure. As for movies, "Avanti" was not much. We do Netflix because it is easier to go to the mail box than it is to go to town.

    When we are on the road, I can be the fastest dresser in the world if it means going out for good coffee, but then I am a morning person.

    I don't know if other women are like this, but I was always leery of dating a man with better hair than myself - and that is some nice hair in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Long-haired freaky people!" Right there! Let's git 'im!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not being a coffee drinker myself, I can't really comment on it. I did drink cappucino while I was in Italy and the best I ever had was in a little bar half way up Mt. Vesuvius.

    LOTR--my all time favorite movie trilogy and one of my favorite books. Love em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterday, I wrote out my comments, but when I hit "publish" something strange happened, and I was not sure if my comment was published. But the Grand Baby was arriving and I thought I would deal with it later. Now, as I read through my comment I notic that my next to the last paragraph sounds a bit odd. Does it seem that when on the road, I am naked and will only dress for coffee? That was not exactly my intent. Some writer I am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stopping by to wish you all a happy Labor Day Holiday. It's a busy time for us - college starting, festival season revving up for a big finish. Labor day, we'll be hauling art stuff out of the festival and driving through Laguna traffic, hoping to find a place to park when we get home.

    Say, how's TFMP doing, Buck? Any news? She's been in my thoughts.

    About that road marker back there apiece? I knew that was a marker! I just wondered what the diagram was that you were looking at - an erector set? A wash with erosion? It was driving me crazy cause I thought we'd seen them all. I wanted to peer over your shoulder, but computer screens don't allow.

    I loved LOTR, too. (I noticed it was top of your list, Becky. My family's too.) Peter Jackson did an outstanding job. You and he would have made quite a pair back in your Berkeley days, Buck!

    Okay, I'm going to confess. I...don't...like...Starbucks coffee. There. I've said it. I've always thought it smelled mouldy. Someone from work used to bring a bag of it to the big regional meetings back in the mid-nineties and everyone would ooh and ahh. I couldn't drink it without thinking of old socks. (What's wrong with me?)

    Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky said: Not being a coffee drinker myself...

    Oh GIRL! What you're missing! :-) That's OK, Becky...SN2 isn't much of a coffee drinker, either. Is this a Navy thing? (Can't be: dc drinks it, and he's retired Navy...)

    Lou: I understood what you originally wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bec said: Say, how's TFMP doing, Buck? Any news? She's been in my thoughts.

    Thanks for asking, Bec. She's still in the hospital, and the docs are still testing, with no definitive results. SN1 should update me again today...

    *gasp* You DON'T like Starbucks!?! Heh. I knew lotsa folks in SFO that felt the same way, but for different reasons...mostly because S-bucks were the Big Corporate Baddies driving poor ol' Mom & Pop out of bid'ness. PC Coffee - only - for those people, thank you.

    I hope the festival is kind to you in all respects, Bec!

    And I hope all y'all's Labor Day Weekend is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buck,I am afraid you have fallen into that "thought pattern" that bigger is better. (Bigger towns, bigger names ...."Starbucks") I've been to the bigger is better world and found it all to be a lie! Yes. our quaint little town of Peeville is like many others, it has an original coffee source. Starbucks, really?! That is so clich'.
    Haven't you ever been to one of those little towns where a local took you to a scary looking diner that might be affectionately called a "dive?" Then you managed to have one of the best meals ever. Applebee's, Chili's, Red Lobster........and yes, Starbucks, they're all look alikes. Our best little coffee secret here in Peeville is just down the street from the pictures you took today. Victory Life Coffee House on 18th street is by James Elementary and Bealls. You will be amazed at the flavor, and yes, it has wireless internet. Try it you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Anon, you're my first local commenter since I began blogging on 11/15/2005! I've always wondered about that. I know for a fact some folks from P-Town stop by once in a while (Site Meter tells me that), but no one, until now, has commented.

    You've obviously not read my back pages when you write "...you have fallen into that "thought pattern" that bigger is better. (Bigger towns, bigger names ...."Starbucks") . You'll not ever hear me sing the praises of places like Applebees or Red Lobster. Starbucks is another matter. Their quality is consistent, their stores are all clean, well-furnished, and feature some pretty good music..."corporate" entity or no. And they're everywhere, P-Town and Clovis excepted, of course.

    But: Thanks for the tip about Victory Life. I will check them out. And I think the fact I've been living here for nearly four years speaks well of my attitude towards Portales. After all, given the fact I live in an RV, I could easily pack up in about an hour and move on down the road. I choose not to, because...I LIKE P-Town.

    C'mon back and visit!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.