Sunday, January 15, 2006

Reunion


Eastern New Mexico University's two-week Christmas Break is over; the student population of La Hacienda trailer park all came home today. My neighbor across the way is a single woman student at ENMU, but she has a live-in boyfriend. How do I know this? Well, I really don’t, strictly defined. But I have windows, and I have eyes. I’ve watched this relationship unfold since late August. It began with the dissolution of her old relationship, a very public screaming match between her and the old boyfriend as she broke it off within two days of her moving in to the trailer park. Then there was the first arrival of the current boyfriend’s vehicle and the steady progression of occasional over-night stays to the current semi-permanent living relationship. She’s from somewhere else in New Mexico, he’s from Texas.

Lest you think I’m one of those prying-spying neighbors, let me assure you: I am not. I live in close quarters with my neighbors, I have windows, and I’m simply observant. That’s it.

Back to our tale. They arrived back at her place late this morning, about 30 minutes apart. He got home first and spent the 30 minutes wandering around her fifth-wheel, playing with his dog and generally looking things over. Eventually I looked up and out the window to see him standing in the driveway with his phone to his ear. He put the phone in his pocket as she wheeled into the driveway. He was opening her door before her truck came to a complete stop.

I felt like a voyeur as I, observing from my window across the street, watched an all-too-familiar ritual unfold. He stood with his arms held wide and enfolded her as they met. Her arms circled him underneath his shoulders and he reciprocated, pulling her close, as close as possible. They stood there for at least ten seconds, swaying gently, before he took her head in his hands and kissed her. It was a long kiss. He broke the embrace and pulled back ever so slightly. They stood there briefly, looking at each other, before kissing again. Then they separated and stood apart, just looking at each other. I know what was said, if anything was said at all. Words about separation, reunion, joy, love. The whole tableau lasted about two minutes before they disappeared into the fifth-wheel. And I know what happened next, too.

My vision went a little blurry as I watched them walk arm-in-arm towards the trailer, and I realized I was a bit…uh…misty. The scene was too familiar, almost painful to watch. Memories of homecomings past flooded my brain: airport scenes, driveway scenes, train station scenes. I had many such, from trips near and far, over the years, and the reunion was always sweet beyond belief.

I miss being in love sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. Buck, I can so relate to what you feel. I can't even remember thi last time I was in love. I sometimes miss it as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky!

    At the risk of sounding banal, love is strange. It chooses us, we don't choose it. It can't be forced, can't be bought, can't be recovered when it's lost, and is oh-so-hard to find in the first place.

    I have this theory that's half-formed in my mind: you get one, and only one, true love in your life. As I said, the theory is half-formed. I'm not sure I believe it yet, but it's looking more and more like reality as every day goes by.

    Oh, well. And so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I think your theory is true--that there is only one love for me, and I missed him somewhere along the way...

    But then the eternal optomist in me thinks he's still out there somewhere waiting for me to find him.

    He would be a combination of my two favorite men that ever lived--Winston Churchill and Ronald Reagan.

    I just hope he doesn't LOOK like Churchill. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.