Tuesday, October 28, 2014

On the Early Bus Again

I suppose an early rise is to be expected when one goes to bed around 2230 hrs.  I find it middling-strange that I only need about six hours o' sleep every night, and eight at the very most.  I don't count the two-hour nap I take every afternoon, though, and that has to figure in there somewhere.

So, all of the overnight mail has yet to hit the in-box but most of it has.  This was a piece-part of it...



I'm thinking Mr. Ramirez is the best of the current crop o' political cartoonists.  He ALWAYS gets it right.  Apropos o' not much... I was never Peter-Principled.  I came close a couple o' times, but never really got there.

Update, 0940 hrs:  On further thought about that Peter Principle thing... I think I've reached my level of incompetence in retirement, in that I don't seem to be doing it too very well.  Some folks, like President George H. W. Bush, jump out of airplanes in retirement, others take off on exotic travel binges, still others go back to school just for the fun that's in it.  Me?  I sit on the verandah and drink beer; an exotic travel binge for me means driving over to The Big(ger) CityTM every other month or so.  Incompetence.

17 comments:

  1. I had help getting up this morning (IYKWIM).
    PHG is off in Sac.
    The 'other' housemate gets restless early. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean. On that same note, I miss my puppies.

      Delete
  2. There's nothing incompetent about that, Buck. That's living the way it ought to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: the 0940 update:
    Seems to me that if you're able to do as you wish in retirement based only on restrictions which you've set, you've maintained your competency.
    I know that's my case.
    There are lots of things I would do, if I didn't place some reasonable limits on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right: I have limits, mostly self-inflicted. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I knew it was over for the USA when the choice was between the Bitch, The African, and the Billionaire. Who won made no difference to me, as I am getting paid directly from the Treasury.

    Then too, I don't participate in most of the freedoms we lost over the last 20 years. As long as I have my gun, and targets appear every now and then, I'm a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your retirement is a lot like mine. Lovin' every incompetent minute of it............................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I mean, what's NOT to like, aside from the inertia that's in it?

      Delete
  6. You are not alone! Retirement takes a lot of work, like when and how long to take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "when" is easy, the "how long" is hard!

      Delete
  7. LOL, you deserve your down time... You've 'earned' the right to be incompetent... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. No no. First, you overlooked something essential but trivial. You have 3 boys though so that's not necessarily a downcheck. Second, some of us spent a lifetime traveling, seeing the world, meeting interesting people, and want nothing more than to put our feet up and stay home with a cold brew and nice smoke. In 5 years Keith Laumer's telepresence anywhere in the world will be a reality. Then you can really see the world and kick the crap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I apologize promptly. You have 2 very fine outstanding young men and a rising 3rd. My bad.

      Delete
    2. Good points all, Curt, and thank you for the perspective. The Ol' Man drove me crazy with his "stay-at-home-itis" in his old age, but, as you said, he had spent a lifetime traveling and all he wanted to do was stay home and put his feet up. I totally get that, now.

      And... no apology required!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.