Thursday, July 17, 2014

This Just In...

I was doin' a mid-afternoon check o' our incoming mail and was shocked to see Johnny Winter died yesterday at age 70.  Rolling Stone has a good written tribute to Mr. Winter, these being the first and final grafs:

Legendary blues musician Johnny Winter died in his hotel room in Zurich, Switzerland, on July 16th at 70 years old. There are plenty of reasons why that's notable — Winter was one of the first blues rock guitar virtuosos, releasing a string of popular and fiery albums in the late Sixties and early Seventies, becoming an arena-level concert draw in the process — but it's the barest facts that remain the most inspiring. Johnny Winter, from little Beaumont, Texas, afflicted with albinism and 20/400 eyesight in one eye and 20/600 in the other, made an iconic life for himself by playing the blues.
...
Towards the end of Raisin' Cain, Winter is asked how he'd liked to be remembered. He answered, simply, "As a good blues player."

Johnny Winter was much more than that.
Oh, Hell yes.  His guitar playing was incendiary and he stayed true to the blues throughout his whole career.  He WILL be missed.
 
So... my very favorite Johnny Winter tune:
 
 
It don't get much better than that, if at all.

4 comments:

  1. In Dylan's words --

    I read the news today -- Oh boy
    ...
    ...
    ...
    In the forest of the night
    Cover him over and let him sleep
    Shine your light, move it on, you burn so bright, roll on John.

    J. R. Burns


    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck. Nothing gets me to feeling older than one of my musical heroes leaving this Earth. Have to admit, coming from a slightly younger generation Edgar caught my ear first ("Frankenstein" is one of those tunes I always crank to 10) but then I 'discovered' Johnny and wasn't disappointed. I think I'll throw "Saint & Sinners" on the phonograph tonight (only one I have remaining after many of my vinyl recordings were wrecked in a flood...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to a show by BeauSoleil last night. His loss was the first thing Michael mentioned when they took the stage. What a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ J. R.: Very apropos. I went to the Tube O' You to listen...

    @ Jim: In re: feeling older. Yeah, some of these guys are my contemporaries in age. Nothing like handwriting on the wall.

    @ Curt: In a strange way it pleases me to hear of other musicians paying a very public tribute. What a nice gesture, and yes... what a loss.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.