Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

James McMurtry...


When cornered you complain about the state of your career
And you look intently straight ahead, pretending I'm not here
And you look me in the eye and say "It's not about us"
And you tell me I'm so silly to be making such a fuss
So everything's okay except you're nervous as a cat
But what's it say about me if you think I'd fall for that?
Come on
Where'd you hide the body?
Where'd you stash the loot?
Just keep your hands where I can see them
And maybe I won't shoot
Heh.  This song (full lyrics here) always brings a wry smile to my face, mainly coz I most certainly coulda wrote this song if I had a scintilla of the poet in my soul.  But I don't... and I'm grateful for those that DO, coz I saw this movie... when it was playin' in my local theatre... and it wasn't pretty.  At all.

2 comments:

  1. A few connections: We have lots of relatives from Archer City, where Larry McMurty is from. He and my dad's cousin Ceily, were good friends. Then James did a stint in Red River like lots of other good musicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mentioned James bein' in RR before, but not that connection with Larry.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.