Friday, March 01, 2013

Random Notes

Said with apologies to Rolling Stone for lifting the title to an on-going feature in the magazine.  At least it used to be but ya can't prove it by me, seein' as how I haven't cracked an RS in about 20 years or more.  But there was a time...


I subscribed to RS back in my plastic hippie days... beginning around 1969 or so... and kept that subscription going until the late '80s, or about 20 years.  I used to save my issues, too, and had about three or four or more one-cubic-foot boxes stuffed full of old Rolling Stones.  Which boxes I carted around with me when I moved... the magazines accompanying me from Boron AFS, CA to Wakkanai, Japan to Klamath Falls, OR to Yokota AB, Japan to Fortuna AFS, ND back to Oregon and then to England and then to... well, ya get the ideer.  It was in 1985... when we moved from Oklahoma City to Dee-troit... that The Second Mrs. Pennington put her foot down and made me throw the things out, along with my equally-large 20-plus-year collection of motorcycle magazines.  I kept the RS subscription going for another few years but the issues always went out in the trash when we were done reading them... TSMP made sure of that.

I told her those things would be valuable some day and she'd be sorry we threw away a gold mine; it turns out I was wrong about that.  Well, sorta wrong.  I had all of those issues... and more.

―:☺:―

The Beloved Wings finished up a two-game road trip to the Left Coast last evening, winning one and losing one... a shoot-out win over the hapless Tiburons last evening and a heartbreaking 2-1 loss to El-Eh night before last.  Last night's win vaulted the Wings from 10th place in the West to fourth.  Who'd a thunk it that two measly points would make that much difference in the standings?  Well it did, and that's coz things are pretty tight in the West, except for the Ducks and the hated Blackhawks, who are running away and hiding from everyone else.  I don't recall the previous shortened season bein' this tight, but then again I don't remember a LOT o' things.


―:☺:―

We took Happy Hour out on the verandah yesterday and the chances are pretty good we'll do the same today.  It' still not very warm here on The High Plains o' New Mexico... only in the low 50s... but that's warm enough, provided the wind stays down.  We're beginning to not like this winter thing... ENOUGH, already.


―:☺:―

And finally... Happy Sequester Day!  That's all I'm gonna say on the subject, mainly coz I'm SICK TO FUCKING DEATH of it.

7 comments:

  1. I'm thinking we should take a page from hockey, apply it to the assweasels in DC, and eject them from the game for major misconduct.

    The only Sequestration for which I have any interest is the one the College of Cardinals is undertaking at the Vatican.
    I'm curious about who's gonna replace Pope Benadryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in OK, when someone moves to the rest-home or dies, the family goes through their stuff and then has an auction. The auction people come and go through the junk and spread it out over the lawn in little piles to sell. People come from miles around to go through the piles - like monkeys looking for fleas. I told Toby that when I die, he better not put my crap on the lawn to sell. I will get rid of it myself rather than have everyone see my stuff. Just the thought of those piles of crap makes me throw things away - including magazines - but it is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I SO here ya on that. I don't want anyone, other than family, goin' thru my stuff when the end comes.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the TSMP was becoming a fun sponge later on in the relationship. I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well... the worst was yet to come.

      Delete
  4. My "hated" "been-down-so-long-it-looks-like-up-to-me" beloved Blackhawks? HA! Eat Your Liver, Buck! BWAAHAAHAHAHAhahahahah!!!

    (Heh, Gotta Lord it over you while the gittin' is good. :) )

    Ands Rolling Stone? I started reading about same time as you, Buck, and still do--it helps me keep my hand in with the younger, "hipster" element--think of it as "intelligence work," lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Heh, Gotta Lord it over you while the gittin' is good. :) )

      Sunday... SUNDAY... SUNDAY!!!

      You're a better man than I when it comes to RS. I quit when they went all hip-hop and way-too-blatantly liberal. The Lefty shit was OK when I was a Lefty, it doesn't wash very well today.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.