Friday, April 13, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack... and More Randomness

I'm just in from a run out to the base, the second in as many days.  Well, the second this week, anyhoo.  I discovered the scotch supply was nearly exhausted night before last and we killed it off in its entirety last evening.  Ergo: a resupply run.  It was a great day for it, too.

So... we pulled up to the gate at Cannon... top down, Stones blasting but quickly turned down, and cigar in hand... whereupon the gate guard took my ID and casually remarked "Now here's a man who KNOWS how to enjoy a great day!"

"Yup," sez I, "life is GOOD."

"I can see that," sez he, "enjoy the rest of your day, Sergeant Pennington."

I love it when those guys address me by my long-expired title.  But we ARE "still serving," as it's said.

―:☺:―

We were "Rolling Stoned and Beatled 'til we're blind" on our recent road-trip, to quote Paul Simon.  Which means we loaded up The Green Hornet with our complete catalog of re-mastered albums from both groups, which we listened to when we weren't doin' the NPR thang.  I loves me some NPR, with a couple of notable exceptions... the first bein' the SUPREMELY obnoxious Garrison Keillor and the second bein' the equally obnoxious (or more so) Amy Goodman and her liberal moonbattery on "Democracy Now!"  Yecch.  So... we turned to our CDs when both of those programs came on.

Which was a long-winded way o' sayin' that "Exile On Main Street" is still in our CD player, as we speak.  We put this tune on repeat for the entire 30-mile round trip out to Cannon Airplane Patch and back:



I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.
I'm the man that brings you roses when you ain't got none.
Well I can run and jump and fish, but I won't fight
You if you want to push and pull with me all night.

Give me little drink from you loving cup.
Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk.

I feel so humble with you tonight,
Just sitting in front of the fire.
See your face dancing in the flame,
Feel your mouth kissing me again,
What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz,
What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
Oh, what a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
Apropos o' not much... we've had this tune stuck in our head since about 2200 hrs last evening, specifically the lyrics quoted above.  That's because we spent the night in the company of a beautiful young woman who languished on my love seat until the wee smalls this morning... and I could not get those lyrics and THAT set of images out of my head.  Our beautiful evening ended when the lady said "I'd better get home, otherwise I'm gonna fall asleep right here on your couch."  Which was almost the perfect opening.

Let me say this about that: I was SO tempted to... well, you know.  But I didn't, simply because I feel it's unseemly to put a move on a woman who's young enough to be my daughter or mebbe even my granddaughter, if only technically.  I'm havin' different thoughts in the cold light o' day today... thoughts along the lines of "missed opportunities."  And "faint heart ne'er won fair lady."

Sigh.  BIG-ass sigh.  Beer me! 

8 comments:

  1. Nice post... On the subject of musak, I have been making big use of the Public Library and their free CD's collection. You might get a card and start downloading all those great disks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the library thang for years and years, Darryl. Except I tape the CDs, I don't download them.

      Delete
  2. The ITunes on our Mac system has a function called Cloud which takes all the music you have on one device and makes it available to all of your other devices, Ipod, Ipad, etc. Doesn't matter how you got the music there, iTunes considers it yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your Wings have evened things up
    Good on them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a good game, Skip. Yer Sharks surprised the Blues, didn't they?

      Delete
  4. Buck, I commented on the Wings victory down below on an earlier post which I just read this morning. Congrats.

    Regarding the young lady who "lanquished" on your love seat (I love that, it sounds sexy and Victorian at the same time!), the STones also have another lyric that might work here:

    "You can't always get what you want, but..."

    Well, you know the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know the rest of it.

      I do. But I'm not even getting what I NEED.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.