Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Most Interesting



From the comments under this video:
When I first heard of this movie," says John Blundell, "I immediately was a little worried because of Meryl Streep's own ideas and polices and so on that are very distinctly not Thatcherite."

As a longtime Margaret Thatcher ally, few people are in a better position than John Blundell to assess the veracity of the Oscar-nominated bio-pic, The Iron Lady. The former head of influential free-market organizations such as The Institute of Economic Affairs, The Institute for Humane Studies, and the Atlas Economic Research Foundation, Blundell is also the author of Margaret Thatcher: A Portrait of the Iron Lady (2007) and the new Ladies for Liberty: Women Who Made a Difference in
American History.
Lady Thatcher is in my "A" rank o' heroes.  I was fortunate enough to witness the impact she had on Britain first hand, as I lived in London from 1980 until mid 1983, when she was Prime Minister.  This short little clip re-emphasizes how important Dame Thatcher was to the UK and further sharpens my desire to go see "The Iron Lady."  I like Ms. Streep a lot, too.

Update:  The complete list o' my heroes, and why.

5 comments:

  1. Buck, I haven't seen this movie but I will. I've always admired Thatcher even in my other life as a liberal. And Streep is unquestionably a fine actress. However, I've read a few reviews that challenge the accuracy of the movie's presentation. For what it's worth, here's one that might interest you:

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/cjohnson/2012/01/22/the-iron-lady-review-slandering-lady-thatchers-legacy-as-only-hollywood-can/

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting review, Dan (and thanks for it), but doesn't it fly in the face of what the narrator in the video I posted has to say? Our narrator isn't a gadfly, what with authoring a book on Mrs. Thatcher and being a former adviser and admirer to/of Her Ladyship. I find the fact the Breitbart review doesn't agree with a Thatcher biographer's review somewhat disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is disconcerting; both have some credibility, Blundell probably much more. Still, I'm positive I'll enjoy the film although I guess I'll have to wait till it's on dvd. Most movies about real events or real people usually get criticized for distortion or incompleteness, and movies based on books usually get criticized for not being "true" to the book. It's just the nature of the movies. They can't get everything in to 90 minutes. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hero lists, Buck. Some great people on there. And giving 'em those ranks (something you picked up in the military?) is a most sensible idea. I think it helps with the apples and oranges problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan: In re: nature o' the movies. That's sorta what I thought when I read the Breitbart piece. Along with the fact that ya can't please all the people all the time. Thanks for the kind words on my lists. Yeah, ranking them does solve the apples/oranges problem. All heroes ain't created equally.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.