Thursday, August 25, 2011

An Endorsement

Kinky Friedman, left, listens to Texas Gov. Rick Perry during the 2006 Texas gubernatorial debate, Smiley N. Pool / AP-pool (photo snagged from The Daily Beast)
 
As a Jewish cowboy (or “Juusshh,” as we say in Texas), I know Rick Perry to be a true friend of Israel, like Bill Clinton and George W. before him. There exists a visceral John Wayne kinship between Israelis and Texans, and Rick Perry gets it. That’s why he’s visited Israel on many more occasions than Obama, who’s been there exactly zero times as president. If I were Obama I wouldn’t go either. His favorability rating in Israel once clocked in at 4 percent. Say what you will about the Israelis, but they are not slow out of the chute. They know who their friends are. On the topic of the Holy Land, there remains the little matter of God. God talks to televangelists, football coaches, and people in mental hospitals. Why shouldn’t he talk to Rick Perry? In the spirit of Joseph Heller, I have a covenant with God. I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. If, however, I have a big problem, I ask God for the answer. He tells Rick Perry. And Rick tells me.

So would I support Rick Perry for president? Hell, yes! As the last nail that hasn’t been hammered down in this country, I agree with Rick that there are already too damn many laws, taxes, regulations, panels, committees, and bureaucrats. While Obama is busy putting the hyphen between “anal” and “retentive” Rick will be rolling up his sleeves and getting to work.
Full disclosure:  I "threw away my vote" in the 2006 Texas gubernatorial race by voting for Mr. Friedman.  I could cloak myself in self-righteous virtue and tell ya I voted my conscience.  Which isn't a bad ideer, come to think on it, so, yeah:  I voted my conscience!  Kinky's platform appealed to me in every possible way...

Two things:  (1) read the whole endorsement; it's great in that Kinky way.  (2) We are edging ever closer to putting a "Perry 2012" widget in our sidebar.

10 comments:

  1. What!!?? No Kinky & the Texas Jewboys songs put up? C'mon, Buck, AT LEAST root around for the old song "Miles and Miles of Texas" and put 'er up in honor of BOTH Perry and the Kinkster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't ya wait until ADWH this evening, Virgil? Or are ya one of those "instant gratification" kinda guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to say the same as Victor X-Ray just did, but I had to do some inshurince werk.

    Finished reading the articel, I'm thinking we may have a good candidate there.

    But let Kinky be the SEC -DEF. We're talkin' fun, now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fat Fingered 'Article'

    w/v Phorksw Porkshow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kinky Friedman. He might be my second choice for President; as Kinky says even Charlie Sheen would be better than our current Prez. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "God talks to televangelists, football coaches, and people in mental hospitals."

    Heh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Instant gratification guy?" Lil' 'ole hedonistic moi? PERISH the very thought..."deferred gratification?" What's that? Sumpin'
    good t'eat?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darryl: Friedman as SecDef... what a concept!

    Red: You're welcome!

    Staci: I'm thinkin' God plays practical jokes on coaches, too.

    Virgil: Sorta. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. God definitely plays practical jokes on corhces.

    This pretty well does it for me. Seriously. Unless somebody else surfaces unexpectedly...

    Still would love to vote for Bachmann. But, by the time the LA primary comes around things are usually settled. Could be different this year. I was hoping for a deadlock at the convention, and a draft of somebody really great. I don't think that's going to happen now that Perry's gotten in.

    Heh! WV: hannity

    Really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I'm pretty much behind Perry, too. But we shall see what we see...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.