Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Mish-Mash of Miscellanea

First... from today's AFA Daily Report...
Return of the Fireballs: Officials with the 27th Special Operations Wing at Cannon AFB, N.M., have activated the 522nd Special Operations Squadron. "We will commit ourselves to excellence, be dedicated and courageous, and we will always, lead the way," said Lt. Col. Paul Pendleton, who took command of the reformed unit, whose history dates back to World War II. The 522nd SOS will be USAF's first unit assigned the MC-130J Combat Shadow II, which is due to begin operations in 2012. The unit's role will be covert infiltration, exfiltration, and resupply of special forces in hostile and denied regions. Pendleton received the unit's laurelled guidon from 27th Special Operations Group acting commander Col. Charles Myers during the April 7 stand-up ceremony. The 522nd, known as the Fireballs, was one of the most decorated air units during World War II. (Cannon report by A1C Jette Carr)
We always run news items from Cannon Airplane Patch... that's one of our responsibilities as a Local Retread Air Force blogger, yanno?  SN1 spent some time with the Fireballs, if memory serves.  That was when they were flying Lawn Darts, tho.

―:☺:―

Today's Toon Of Note


The way The One is acting about these miniscule budget cuts just cracks me up.  Speaking of Teh Funny...  The people who run the Fever Swamp blogs are having serious splodey head attacks... which is sorta fun to watch, especially in the comments... for a short while, anyhoo.  The One sure ain't their favorite guy at the moment.  Who'd a thunk it?

―:☺:―

The nice lady from American Home Patient Services dropped by this morning to perform annual service on my oxygen machine, which involves changing out a couple of filters and checking the output to make sure the machine is doin' what it's supposed to do... which it is.  I also found out the machine has an odometer of sorts, in the form of an hour meter.  Liz (the nice lady) read the meter and said... "It looks like you're using the machine every night!"  "Well, yeah... isn't that what the doctor ordered?" sez I.  "You'd be surprised," sez she...  "I find some machines with three hours or less on 'em when I do the annual service call." 

I suppose stupidity knows no bounds... yet I admit I WAS surprised.  Go figger.

7 comments:

  1. It is amazing isn't it - people have something that will make their lives better and they won't use it/take it... Boggles the mind.

    I have asthma; in order to breathe even partially normally I have to use a special inhaler twice a day. I can't tell you how many asthmatics I've met who are stunned by how well my asthma is controlled; when I tell them I use my meds faithfully they just kind of shrug and admit that they don't do that. When I point out how much better they'd feel if they would just follow the doctor's orders, they can only say "I suppose so". And I know they won't follow thru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... But be thankful life is graded on a curve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a good friend down here who flew F-16s in the Navy. I don't think I'll bring up the Lawn Darts thing!

    Love that cartoon -- truly an example of a picture v. 1,000 words.

    I wish I could get you to talk to my daddy about using the oxygen prophylactically instead of PRN. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE: Fireballs.

    Memory serves you well Dad! I was the Fireball (522) Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC from summer '04 to summer '05. Good times! Still have the t-shirt!

    Good on the SOW for bringing them back!

    SN1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathing is rather important - good on you for taking care of yourself. We won't tell the eye-doctor about happy hour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris: I have a good friend whose father died of complications from diabetes simply because he wouldn't take his meds. It makes ya wonder, doesn't it?

    Sam: You've let the cat out of the bag: that was the secret to my (modest) success.

    Moogie: I prolly shouldn't use the "Lawn Dart" thing, either. Most of those terms of endearment are reserved for those with actual EXPERIENCE. And keep after your father!

    Buck: I thought so. Thanks for the confirm.

    Lou: I actually observed the Happy Hour ban prior to surgery. And then I got PISSED when I found out it had to do with anesthesia, which I did NOT receive.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.