Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mood Enhancement

I watched Discovery blast off from Cape Canaveral this afternoon with beating heart and more than a tingle of pride in country.  I felt a twinge of sadness, too, as the FNC guys wouldn't let the audience forget this is Discovery's last mission and the penultimate mission for the Space Shuttle program as a whole.  Discovery has led a remarkable life, as evidenced by this article at FNC's we site.  Excerpts:
143 million: The number of miles Discovery has traveled so far, with one flight remaining. This is a distance record unmatched among NASA's space shuttle fleet. The miles traveled by Discovery could have carried it to the moon and back 288 times, or on 1 1/2 trips to the sun.
1984: The year Discovery blasted off on its maiden space voyage. Discovery's first flight was NASA's STS-41D mission, which launched on Aug. 30 carrying three communications satellites and an experimental solar array wing. The mission was commanded by astronaut Henry Hartsfield.
Dang... 1984 seems like SO long ago, doesn't it?  I guess it was a long time ago... I was still wearing the blue suit to work every day and contemplating putting in my retirement papers, which in fact I did later on that year.  And Discovery is still soldiering on.  There are many more "gee whiz" facts at that FNC link above.  Pretty danged cool.

Godspeed, Discovery.  See ya on the back side.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting what will change your mood. Prolly wouldn't have done it for me. But hey! Whatever flys your plane!

    VW: dogma - how very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mots électroniques24 February, 2011 20:45

    "...soldering on..."

    Sounds electronic. Let's just hope the solder stays soldered...

    Sorry, trying to be funny, but yes, that was a long time ago.

    I think that was the year I met my first common law wife. She only lasted a few months though. Funny how a woman thinks she's found Mr. Right, only to be so Ms Wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou: That space stuff always does it for me.

    Andy: You puppy, you! ;-)

    Words: Thanks for catching that goof. I've met a few women such as you describe, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite comic was a bunch of cattle standing in line in front of a "laughter house" waiting to go in.

    There on the ground was the starting "S" that fell off...

    English is funny that way. You can drop a letter and still have a word...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.