Monday, January 24, 2011

Another One of Those Days...


By that I mean the sorta day when the air turns a pinkish-dun color, the tumbleweeds go skittering down the street at an amazing pace, and El Casa Móvil De Pennington rocks and rolls like a three-masted sailing ship in a gale (with much the same noises, too).  We get more than a few such days here on The High Plains of New Mexico but I'd rather deal with them... and the dust... than 18 inches or more of frozen precip.  All day, any day.

It's a great good thing I enjoy my own company and am easily amused coz we've been housebound for one reason or another for about four days now, all on account of the weather.  Winter is NOT my favorite season.

That said... we did step outside earlier to take a quick snap of Beautiful La Hacienda Trailer Park in order to illustrate what we're on about:


Purty, ain't it?

10 comments:

  1. NM has laws saying that a bar cannot build within so many feet of a church. In RR, the church built very near one of the bars, which has been there forever. Why does the rule not apply in reverse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like your neighbors are pretty much sticking to your Ops plan -- staying on the inside. On the other hand, the place is nice and leaf-free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does the rule not apply in reverse?

    Life just ain't fair, Lou. ;-)

    Moogie: Yeah, people only get out and about if they absolutely MUST on days like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've got the beginnings of a dust bowl? Out there on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures don't do the reality justice, Staci. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always amazes me what people can tolerate. For instance, today was -30 c with the wind chill (-20c without), yet people were out and about doing their business as if the cold was no big deal at all.

    On the other hand, our frined Andy gets the shivers when it dips below 75 where he's at.

    If you're not use to the cold, if you haven't spent years getting use to truly cold temperatures, it's ruthless on the body.

    But it sounds like you not only tolerate the cold, you have some fun with it.

    That's the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I got the wrong post with my comment. I must have had dust in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quiet, clean, and sparsely populated? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I think your neck of the woods really IS pretty. I think you actually think so, too - I think.

    Enough thinking. Pour yourself another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But it sounds like you not only tolerate the cold, you have some fun with it.

    I tolerate it a LOT less than I used to, Mayor. I think that's a function of age. That's MY story, anyhoo.

    I must have had dust in my eyes.

    But I got yer drift, Lou. Heh.

    Anon: I like it, too... except for when the wind gets on my last nerve.

    Jim: I do think the High Plains are pretty. But I'm weird like that.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.