Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Well, It's Just ME...

... but this is why I hold Facebook in contempt:
World Moments
Whether it be the tragedy of the Haitian earthquake or the heroic rescue of the Chilean miners ("mineros" in Spanish), global news events captured the world's attention. People shared their collective sadness, concern and hope. Some even let the world know what was happening on the ground in Haiti and Chile.

The world came together for the World Cup, with as many as a half of all status updates referring to the competition at some points during the games.

Say What?
While HMU made its debut, it wasn't the only digital vernacular to make the list. Talk about "airplanes" surged this year, not because people suddenly discovered travel but because they were citing lyrics from the hugely popular song "Airplanes" by B.o.B. "Barn raising" was the most popular phrase for the Games category as gamers on Facebook asked their friends to help them out on FarmVille.

Bieber Fever
Popular culture also shaped people's conversations with each other. Justin Bieber fans couldn't keep their enthusiasm to themselves, making him the only musician on the list. As popular movies such as "Toy Story 3" and "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" premiered, friends shared their opinions. And who didn't want to look hip by telling their friends about their new iPad or iPhone 4?
That would be an analysis of the top Faceboook memes for 2010.  Can you say "vapid?"  Sure ya can!

I know, I know... it's a great way to make and maintain contact with long-lost buddies, buy a cow or two, and all that.  And Sarah Palin can be your friend!

Update, 1240 hrs:  Both CNN and Fox News have articles about this stunning visualization of global Facebook connections:


That's a screen-shot (click for larger, of course) of a portion of the high-res graphic you can see here.  The accompanying article is interesting, as well.  I guess ya can't argue with 500 million people worldwide, can ya?

14 comments:

  1. The only reason I have a facebook is because Sitemeter was showing a lot of visits from there to my blog. I created a facebook account to try to figure out who was linking me. I agree with you, it is otherwise worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to sign up for it. There's enough information floating around out there without me adding to it! Won't even sign up to view my girlfriend's family photos. Is that sad? Or just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the Facebook pool, but I refuse to do games. It makes me feel closer to those who are far away. My husband, on the other hand . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inno: Your reason is as good as any I've heard. And better than most! ;-)

    Deb: I responded to peer pressure and was on FB for about six months before I quit. It was novel for a while and I DID get back in touch with some folks I'd lost. Other than that? Meh.

    Moogie: I can see your point. But it doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I resisted for a long time, then caved to peer pressure.

    I like it. Fun way to share things with people in your circle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well....

    In re "I guess ya can't argue with 500 million people worldwide, can ya?," I have long been noted among my set for the contention that "50,000 Frenchmen can't be right".

    I used to think that this was just another example of my general resistance to herd behavior, of course - but I haven't seen anything so far to change my mind, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're peas in a pod, Rob. Except for the fact I tried it and found it lacking. Mebbe that's not the word I'm looking for, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started blogging there were all sorts of people who were freaked out by the whole blog thang. It is all what you make it. I do fb, and I do like it, although I do not play games. It is a good way of keeping up with people and finding old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know very little about FB, but I'm thinking of giving it a try next year sometime. Can it also be used as a marketing device or is it mainly just another form of online communication? Sarah P. must be doing it for a reason, right? Mebbe both marketing and politicking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Facebook, like Myspace is a joke. It is strictly an advertisement thing, and only a few people reap any money.

    I have a facebook page. I spend a lot of time on it. It is a fake person of course. But people really think I am the famous one they want to talk with.

    I leave naked pictures in my private folder, that even I don't know who they are anymore because I forget after a few days. But everyone thinks they are of the 'famous' person I pretend to be. I usually get another 30 friends for every nipple I expose.

    I talked to my Priest and he said he didn't see anything wrong, but I might want to check with a Psychiatrist for a second opinion...

    I'm hoping to max out on friends just to say I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a good way of keeping up with people and finding old friends.

    You're much more social than I am, Lou. ;-)

    Can it also be used as a marketing device or is it mainly just another form of online communication?

    Both, Dan. Many, many companies have a Facebook page. I think it's almost a commercial/marketing REQUIREMENT these days.

    Anon: So... didja go see that shrink? What's s/he say? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. FB is annoying to me bec. of the herd mentality it brings out in SOME people. Plus the obsessiveness about it -- that makes me back away. Like going to a high school reunion over and over. Why?

    But, yes, I know, tons of people love it. So, whatever works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Re-Found some old friends, so worthy for that, but the rest of it? Feh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The games I like on FB are word games, puzzle games, arcade type games. I don't do the Farmville and stuff. I'm not sure why people like those kind of games where you have to "take care of" everything. That is like work.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.