Sunday, September 26, 2010

It Got Up and Went

That would be my get up and go, of course, which is true in both the micro and macro senses.  I've known about the macro sense for a number of years now, which is to say: inertia.  It's why my sidebar not-so-proudly states "...currently semi-permanently docked in Portales, NM."  At some point in time we shall strike through the "semi" bit as well, given that we're coming up on our eighth year of being parked here on The High Plains of New Mexico.  I'm the semi-reluctant beneficiary of the world's longest one-month visit, evah.  Or the world as I know it, anyhoo.  You DID know that's how I came to be here, right?  SN1 was stationed at Cannon Airplane Patch back in 2002 and I was in transit between the Old Life in SFO and the New Life in either Austin or Corpus Christi.  I stopped here in P-Ville for that "one month visit" and somehow got held up on the way to that New Life. 

Ah, there's the macro bit.  History, for the most part, and we have a grudging acceptance of the part that is the here and now.  I'm oh-so-slightly concerned about the micro, though.  I have a shopping list with about 20 items on it, enough to justify a trip out to the commissary.  But my inner eight year old is sitting sulkily in the forefront of my consciousness and  refuses to move because he "doesn't wanna."  There's that and then there's the fact that only one item on said grocery list is in the "essential" category, so we will head out to Wally-World instead of the base to get that and a couple of other things.  Eventually.  Some time today.  Probably.

I really need some world-class nagging from time to time.  An elderly gent left to his own devices gathers a lot o' moss.  Metaphors: shaken, not stirred.

Related:  Do a Google image search for "petulant child" just for a laugh.  You get an amazing mixed bag of totally UNrelated images.  Google is a wonderful thing indeed.

10 comments:

  1. We are entitled to the "doesn't wanna!" We earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty of it, Buck, is that you are retired. If you "don't wanna" today, you can always do it some other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck, I'm not retired and I have plenty of "I don't wanna" moments and frequently give in to them.

    Sounds like a normal state of affairs actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you have that shirt/hat/bumper sticker that says, "Don't wanna, don't hafta, I'm retired"??

    Hey, it's Monday, it's dark, it's rainy, I woke up later than I should, and have so much work on my desk I can't SEE my desk -- yeah, I don't wanna do stuff, either!!!!

    (No, I'm not ignoring work and surfing blogs -- it's lunchtime!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you can listen to the eight-year-old and do what it wants, that's when you know you have it pretty good! Enjoy your indolence, Buck. You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glenn: I'm not sure anyone ever earns slacker status. But I'll take it. ;-)

    BR: You have a point. Actually it was a good thing to delay the commissary... I'll go tomorrow and combine it with the by-then-necessary beer run.

    Kris: This is a way TOO normal state of affairs for me, alas.

    Kath: I have a wide variety of tee shirts and hats but no bumper stickers. Sorry about your Monday!

    Jim: Indolence is its own reward, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nagging cheerily provided, free of charge, on most topics of your choice. As Mama always said though, be careful what you ask for!

    "Petulant child" Google -- "Jeopardy." ?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nagging ain't the same unless it's of the "in your face, up close and personal" sort, Moogie. Along with the implied threat of withholding that which we (formerly) held dear. But thanks for the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, is that what is wrong with me, I have an inner eight year old in control much of the time? I thought it was just called being passive aggressive. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurie: Well, yeah... that too. I've been accused of being P-A more than a few times.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.