Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Tactical Nuclear Penguin

So... at the behest of Occasional Reader Virgil Xenophon we went looking for this:



And found it, obviously.  Interesting, eh?  I can't imagine a beer with an ABV of 32%.  I used to drink a particularly strong ale barley wine at The Royal Standard of England (my favorite pub in all the world, but leave us not digress) that went by the name of Owd Roger.  About which, this:
Owd Roger is an infamous dark barley wine with a vinous bouquet - and an ABV of 7.6 per cent. It is so strong that, way-back-when, it was only served in halves. It was first brewed 400 years ago at The Royal Standard of England. When I last drank here, the innkeeper used to challenge all-comers to drink four pints, then run round a tree in the car park. If they didn't fall over, the next pint was on him. His profits were safe. No one ever made it back to the bar. And some are still running. Legend has it that one drinker ended up in Bekonscot, the oldest model village in the world, where miniature horses hunt for a miniature fox. After four pints of Owd Roger, such sights can tip a man over ... 
I think Owd Roger has been dumbed down since it was taken over by Marston.  Legend has it (and that legend exists primarily in my own mind) that when Owd Roger was brewed on-prem at the RSOE it was something like 16% ABV.  I know fer sure that two pints were enough to ensure The Second Mrs. Pennington was gonna do the driving when we left the pub...

4 comments:

  1. 7.6!?!?

    Try this 10% Tripplebock -

    http://www.wagnervineyards.com/Beers

    (The direct linkm was too damn long).

    Hell, their Doppelbock is 8.5%

    I drink their Amber Lager, on tap, every summer weekend since my Bro-in Law's cottage is right down the road from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have had one or two of Wagner's beers, tim. MacGregor's was pretty good at featuring local beers back when I lived in Ra-cha-cha and my local barkeep and I had a great personal relationship... he would always recommend this, that, or the other, oftentimes drawing me a sample to taste before I ordered. I REALLY miss that sort of relationship with the management and staff at my local watering hole. It simply doesn't exist here and there's a dearth of good beer, besides. Like: none.

    But... back to that 7.6% thing. As I said in the post, back when I haunted the RSOE Owd Roger was brewed on prem. And it was STRONG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After watching this, I handed the laptop over to Toby so he could watch it too. He asked if you had tried IPA beers (Dogfish Head?) which have a higher ABV? I hope I said all of that right. I don't talk beer - just drink it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou: I've been known to knock back a few IPAs on occasion. Never had a Dogfish Head, tho. (There are a LOT of IPAs out there...)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.