Saturday, August 15, 2009

Just Thinkin'

And you may ask yourself-well...how did I get here?

- David Byrne, "Once In A Lifetime"
Well, the answer is pretty easy in a physical sense, much less so in the metaphysical sense... but let's not go there. Let's be entirely physical... and speaking of such... here's the view of my new home... the general area, anyway... on my last leg into Portales on the the three (or was it four?) day trip out from California: December 16, 2002:

This windshield pic was taken south of Santa Rosa and north of Fort Sumner on US 84. I remember thinking "How desolate... nothing but miles and miles of miles and miles... but interesting in an other-worldly sorta way." And then, one week later, to the day:

Note the California plate on The Green Hornet. This was the first time I'd seen serious snow... and experienced serious cold... in over two and a half years. But I was thinking "Hey, I can deal with this. I'm only gonna be here for a couple of weeks... maybe a month."

Speaking of serious cold:

This shot was taken a mere three days after the snow pic above, on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas), 2002. Here I am... ten days into my stay in P-Ville and freezing my ass off. But, it was only a temporary situation, right? And visiting with SN1 & Co. compensated for the weather, in spades.

Fast forward to today... over six and a half years later... I'm still here in P-Ville, the temp is 96 degrees, and we're getting ready to call Happy Hour.
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.
Inertia... it's what's for dinner. And breakfast. And lunch.

4 comments:

  1. Regarding the last picture in the series: Buck, I'd have never thought you were the type to watch Harry Potter! But there is the DVD, right there by the window, of The Sorcerer's Stone. Was that due to the company that was there at the time or are you a fan of the series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not too long after, I came to your blog because of the "exile in Portales" name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny sez: ...The Sorcerer's Stone. Was that due to the company that was there at the time or are you a fan of the series?

    Good eye, Jenny! It was curiosity. SN1 loaned me the DVD; I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. I made it about halfway through before saying "Meh" and going on to something else. Not my cuppa.

    Lou: I always wondered how you stumbled on to EIP! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I see. LOL! That's why I started reading and watching HP, all the hoopla, but also heard some folks saying how evil it was, how wizards/witches was all anti-God and stuff. Wanted to find out for myself to see if it was ok for the kids. My verdict was that it was great! YMMV of course, but I'm into kids stuff anyway. Seems all I watch is stuff on Disney and Nick, but I kinda enjoy it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.