Thursday, April 09, 2009

O! Canada!

From the Toronto Globe and Mail...
With the regular hockey season wrapping up, guys can look forward to having at least one butt cheek glued to a couch or barstool for the two-month televised marathon that is the NHL playoffs, beginning next Wednesday.
According to the TV commercial stereotype of guys watching sports, women are seen either in tight tank tops and serving beer, or as uninterested wives nagging their husbands about undone chores. But times have changed. Women represent a significant demographic among sports fans, so it's almost as likely that they'll be the ones worried about getting to the bar in time to see the first puck drop.
(Sigh) They do things just a lil bit differently in The Great White Up and arguably better, as well. Women hockey fans DO exist in these United States, don't get me wrong. My daughter-in-law's sister Yolanda is one such, but she's a Dallas Stars fan... much to her discredit. But Hey! It's hockey...

Perhaps I should move back up to Dee-troit and put my money where my mouth is, no? (I already did that Northern California thing, in case you're wondering. I'd never entertain doing it again, FWIW.)

6 comments:

  1. No need to pack up and move just to show your commitment. Though it might be nice to join a bar full of hockey fans, instead of being the guy in the corner who gets looked at sideways because he would like to have a playoff game shown on one of the 37 televisions in the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it might be nice to join a bar full of hockey fans...

    One of my fondest memories of San Francisco is this little sports bar that was about six blocks from my workplace. I watched Game Seven of the 2002 Western Conference Finals there... and the place was SRO... about evenly divided between Wings fans and Avs fans. It was a good-natured crowd, to boot. The funniest moment of the evening was this dude who was wearing a Patrick Roy jersey... about two minutes before the game was over he pulled the jersey over his head, threw it on the floor and stomped on it. My table sent his table a round... just for the laughs he gave us. As I said... it was all VERY good-natured.

    Apropos of not much... I also watched most of the SCF games at that bar, as well. There were a group of Dee-troit expats I hung with... all Wings fans and all IT geeks, too, albeit from different companies. Good times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange. I don't have that problem in PA. We embrace hockey as if we were born with the stick in our cribs.

    BTW: The Pens clenched a playoff spot. Look out, Detroit! We are coming to clip your wings! runs off snickering

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle - keep it coming! Having my Avs so deep in the cellar means that my favorite team in the playoffs is whoever is playing the Wings.

    A Pens/Wings rematch would be sweet, but I think we are more likely to see Boston in there. And from the West? Can I call the Cinderella now? COLUMBUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the OT win by the B's last night over Montreal. VERY chippy game. The rivalry has lost little of its lustre.

    Boston is slowly beginning to look like a hockey town again. Winning even ONE playoff series would cement the Bruins rep for a while. A Cup win would make this town insane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle: A rematch in the SCF would be pretty cool, but I'm pulling for Boston in the East. No offense, and all that...

    Andy sez: ...my favorite team in the playoffs is whoever is playing the Wings.

    Now there's gratitude for ya. I rooted for the Avs against the Sharks night before last, all the way through the shoot-out... only to be rewarded with scorn. Go figure. ;-)

    Jim: I'm pulling for the B's, as noted above.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.