Monday, December 29, 2008

Potpourri

So… here we are, three days into the latest outbreak of violence between the Israelis and Palestinians. And the Usual Suspects are all up in arms over “Israeli aggression.” I really don’t have much to say on this subject, other than to voice my support for Israel, yet again.

It takes a tremendous amount of chutzpah on the part of Arabs to ignore months and months of unprovoked assaults by Hamas in the form of rockets launched indiscriminately into Israel from Gaza… without regard for small details such as targeting… in any way, shape, or form. Like Popeye, Israel finally had “all they’s can take, and they can takes no more.” And their response, in stark contrast to Hamas, has focused on military targets.

Good hunting, IDF. Get some.

―:☺:―

Really Stupid Shit… Yesterday’s First Annual “Good Riddance Day,” held in New York City.

... and Todd Zarnock says goodbye to a list of things including drugs, women and shoplifting.
Credits: Watts/News Published: 12/29/2007 04:00:00

I know there are primitive societies in this wide, wide world that have similar sacrificial rituals… but here? In NYC? Who’d a thunk it? Well, on second thought… this did happen in New Yawk. Nuff said.

There's video here... and note the de rigeur Bush-Bashing. Dang. What will the moonbats do after January 20th, eh?

―:☺:―

Also in the NYC Daily Newscelebrity smokers… with photos of people generally unknown to me and suitably snarky comment. Example:

Whatcha got there, Salma Hayek?

The "Ugly Betty" star is the latest closet celebrity smoker to be exposed after she was spotted puffing away on American Spirits this weekend in Beverly Hills alongside her 1-year-old daughter, Valentina.

Cameras caught the secret smoker outside Neiman Marcus as she lit up while her mom and tiny tot waited.

Hayek told Marie Claire last year that she got hooked on cigarettes while filming "Frida" - and subsequently quit last April.

"It's the s---iest vice you could possibly pick," she said. "I've tried to quit before. But this time I'm done with it. I've changed."

But the 42-year-old isn't the only star who tries to keep her nicotine addiction under wraps

Well, now. Young Salma has good taste, if nothing else. American Spirit was my brand before I gave ‘em up, three years ago next month. But… what IS it with our fascination with “celebrity smokers,” anyway? I’m not immune from this phenomenon, ya know, what with having put up at least three posts over the course of the last year about The One’s habit. Speaking of…

But Mr Obama has admitted to "falling off the wagon" in the course of the campaign. The media has been judgmental. "Obama clearly relishes this opportunity to defeat bigotry and reframe the expectations of young people, especially African-Americans," the San Jose Mercury-News editorialised. "And yet, he smokes." He can set things right, the paper wrote, but only "if he makes a very public show of quitting".

It is less than self-evident why Mr Obama's forgoing the cigarette he sneaks every few weeks should be a matter of national importance. There is no consistent relationship between smoking and performance of official duties. It is true, according to the historian Michael Oren, that Yitzhak Rabin, the Israeli chief of staff, was taken to hospital with nicotine poisoning at the height of the six-day war, but he was on 100 a day. Cigars buoyed Churchill in the second world war. Whether or not smoking makes you think more clearly, the former German chancellor, Helmut Schmidt, who celebrated his 90th birthday last week, must count as one of the sharpest thinkers and heaviest smokers among world leaders of the last half-century.

That’s an excerpt from The Financial Times (UK), from an article titled “No smoke without ire,” which goes on to address the “tricky constitutional question” of whether or not Mr. Obama’s personal quarters in the White House are part and parcel of a no-smoking federal building. That IS a most weighty issue, dontcha think?

As far as Mr. Rabin is concerned… 100 ciggies a day? That’s five packs a day or one cigarette every 15 minutes, assuming the man was awake 24 hours a day. Or, in other words, ol’ Yitzhak never put ‘em out… he literally had to light one off the other, non-stop. And I thought I smoked a lot, at a pack and a half a day. Heh.

―:☺:―

Today’s Random Thought: As one grows older one begins to realize there are worse things in a relationship than your average mother-in-law. Such as: your girlfriend’s children. More specifically, your girlfriend’s adult children.

I’m not throwing stones at any one (or more) individual(s), mind you. Just sayin’.

―:☺:―

Along the same lines as the item above, kinda-sorta… excerpts from an e-mail conversation with a good friend yesterday (certain terms have been redacted to preserve EIP’s PG-13 rating):

My Friend: As you know I check your blog daily and frankly sometimes I have concerns for you because I am, after all, your friend and thus retain that right. I do suggest you get laid though because you exemplify the worst case of a man needing (redacted) that I've ever seen. I suspect that one or two of your "blog buddies" would be more than happy to help you out. That being said, Merry Christmas old friend and of course happy New Year which I will celebrate with you at the stroke of midnight with a couple of fingers of my favorite 15 year old single malt.

Me: |I do suggest you get laid though because you exemplify the worst case of a man needing (redacted) that I've ever seen.

Oh... c'mon! I'm not that bad! Think of all those guys in prison. OTOH, they're probably having all the sex they want (and MORE than they want, in some cases), but it's NOT the sort of experience I care to learn. As a s'matter of fact, the thought of (redacted) rarely even crosses my mind. There are some bennies to achieving Old Age, not the least of which is the Bigger Head taking control over the Little Head. There was a time in life when I'd be prowling the streets upon finding myself without a steady source. No more. The thought of entanglements is more than enough to discourage what little interest I have in that certain physical activity. OK, some of the foregoing is bullshit, plain and simple. But... that said... I'd fix it, were I in dire need. There are MANY women "looking" these days, even for us Ol Farts. Maybe even especially us Ol Farts... as we tend to die off earlier than our female counterparts.

My friend’s observation concerns me and I view it not unlike a medical diagnosis. As such, I believe I need a second opinion (and not “You’re ugly, too!”). Do I appear to be a man in severe need, Gentle Reader? I don’t think so, but then again… we oftentimes don’t see ourselves as others see us.

16 comments:

  1. In psychological terms, it's called projection. Don't worry about how you "appear".

    My wife is always telling me to dress more warmly, which simply means, "I'm cold, therefore you must be too." Dreading menopause, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob sez: Dreading menopause, I am.

    With good reason. Or so I'm told; I missed out on the Happy Experience. So far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FDR smoked, Hitler hated 'em. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, who cares who smokes how often.....look if they want to kill themselves go on with it. I smoked up until, um....what year is it...2009 (well in a couple days), so it's been....13 years, and I started when I was 12.....so it was a good ol time I did it with a break of 4 years in there when I was pregnant with my daughters....started again when my dad died...then quit again two years later, it's been 13 years now.....but my mother smoked while pregnant with me....so whatever. LEAVE them to their nasty habits, there are far worse things in my opinion.

    As far as the sex thing goes, eh....I'm married and we try to fit it in to our schedule, finding time proves to be difficult sometimes, so finding someone and then finding time.....harder (no pun intended) Why do people think sex is such a big deal anyway? Not that I don't enjoy it, I have a, well nevermind about "I" it's just so many people automatically assume so much based on it....maybe they might just want to look a little bit further into why they base so much of life on it.....because there is much more to life then sex. Having said that....I shall shut up now :D

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's a "Todd Zarnock"?
    I know you have wide ranging readers, but why would I give a fig (redacted) what the peculiar Mayor of some burg called New York have to say? He's probably the drongo who decided to leave the citizens of that town defenseless while the bad guys have guns. Those kinds of people are totally illogical and need a crash course in reality as far as I am concerned.
    As for Israel fighting back, if Hamas wants to hide their mortars and rockets where there is civilian population then let that government answer why they don't force them out into the open. And I am no more Jewish then you, Buck. But fair's, fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of Smoking(I love a good hand rolled Cigar, never could stand the cigs, but what the heck? It's legal)...back to real smoking...It appears that Israel is smoking some serious Hamas Butt....keep at it boys, GO ISRAEL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...it's OK for Hamas to shoot rockets indiscriminately into Israel, but it is never OK for Israel to defend herself?

    Conundrum they name is Islam.

    As for the sex thing - not going to go there. No sir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim: True enough. I'd still smoke, too, if the things weren't killing me. I'll NEVER get my wind back, I'm convinced of that.

    ASW: Agreed with your comments on smoking... my Mom didn't quit while she was pregnant with me, TSMP didn't quit when she was pregnant with SN3 (but took her LAST-EVER drag as we pulled up to the delivery room, no kidding)... and the list goes on. We, all of us, seem to have made it through OK (so far).

    As for sex... well it IS a big deal! Or, used to be... in my case. I'm just thankful the drive diminishes in some folks as they age. And for other dis-incentives, as noted.

    Cat sez: What's a "Todd Zarnock"?

    A synonym for "idiot?" Swearing off drugs, women and shoplifting? Methinks the boy needs more help than just a "Good Riddance Day."

    Agreed on your other observations, as well.

    Pat sez: I love a good hand rolled Cigar, never could stand the cigs, but what the heck? It's legal...

    Ummm... beg to differ. It's legal to possess ciggies... but just try lighting one indoors... anywhere, any time. Except for your living room, and even THAT space is on the "endangered species" list... if our Nannies have their way.

    But I'm with ya on the cigars!! As a matter of fact, it's nearly Happy Hour here on The High Plains of New Mexico, and I'm gonna light one up, shortly.

    Kris sez: So...it's OK for Hamas to shoot rockets indiscriminately into Israel, but it is never OK for Israel to defend herself?

    Conundrum they name is Islam.

    As for the sex thing - not going to go there. No sir.


    You got it, as far as Islam goes. I just get the feeling there will never be peace in that part of the world as long as a single Palestinian draws breath.

    And why won't ya "go there," on the sex bits, hmmmm? (Just kidding...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you've given me a feast of topics today, Buck!

    Israel - I hope they crush Hamas into the ground.

    Smoking - I do it. I like it. And I don't plan on quitting. It really absurd that it's been turned into a morality issue, certain people seem to believe that you can categorize smokers into one little ignorant, low class, redneck pile. That's probably why so many folks are fascinated with celebrity smokers - they find it hard to believe that anyone like thatactually smokes. By the way, Mrs. Bush is a smoker.

    Sex - you don't strike me as a man in desperate need of the 'tang. If you could find a nice friend with benefits, someone that's not looking to have your heart on a platter, just some mutual fun - that would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smoking - I do it. I like it. And I don't plan on quitting.

    I'd still be smoking, too, Daphne... if it weren't for the wheezing, coughing, and extreme shortness of breath. Over 40 years of a pack and a half a day finally took its toll. I STILL miss it. I agree with ya on the "morality" thing... that's just too damned stupid for words.

    If you could find a nice friend with benefits, someone that's not looking to have your heart on a platter, just some mutual fun - that would be a good thing.

    That's BEYOND a "good thing"... it's more like the Holy Grail! Dang, but I like the way you think, Daphne! You wouldn't happen to have a single older sister, would ya? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suspect that one or two of your "blog buddies" would be more than happy to help you out.

    What's up with that? Can't women and men just be friends anymore and just enjoy each other? This friend of yours seems to be the one with the sex problem.

    Go Israel! Do what we always wanted to do, but didn't have the huevos to do.

    You know how I feel about smoking - no need to go there. If Obama is so popular, will his smoking influence young people? Did Clinton's lack of control influence young people?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend is one of the finest, kindest, most considerate people you'd ever want to meet, Lou. Trust me on that. Perhaps the sentiment about my blog-buddies... which wasn't EVEN meant for public consumption... looks a little strange to female eyes. I got the message, tho, and laughed. The statement was a lil over the top, I suppose... but once again: It was ME who put it out on the street.

    I don't think Obama's smoking is gonna affect anyone's opinion of him, one way or another... most of our minds are already made up.

    OTOH, smoking is generally relegated to the very young and the very old these days... so the youngsters among us just might think his smoking is "cool." But... as Dad used to tell me: "It's hard to be cool and smart at the same time." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No older sisters, Buck - I was the pick of the litter in my family. But If I had one, I'd definitely throw her your way.

    I've met so many solid women past forty who are busy with their own lives and don't want the disruption a marriage or formal relationship would entail, but would mightily enjoy some intimate and friendly male companionship - a little drinking, dancing, talking, romancing - then everyone heads to their separate corners the morning after without a set of fixed obligations other than the usual polite social norms you'd offer any good friend, especially the ones you're knocking boots with once a week.

    I don't expect I'll ever be able to stop smoking. I like it and I'm completely addicted. It's not just the nicotine. I love firing one up with my first cup of coffee or after a meal. Pouring a cocktail and lighting that smoke on the back porch satisfies some deep well of satisfied being in my soul. I haven't smoked inside a structure in the past twenty years, the public bans don't bother me much other than rankle my sense that everybody needs to back the f*ck off with their inflamed sense of righteous aggrievement and calls for more stupid government laws to protect them from nothing that could ever possibly hurt them.

    These namby pamby jerks might scream for real if their tax bills shot through the roof when school funding tanked if all smokers quit their nasty habit and stopped propping up the local district's budget. Most states and non-smokers should honor smokers as the saviour of public school budgets.

    Smoking - it's for the good of the children!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't see that smoking has any redeeming features. Of course, I didn't need an alarm clock growing up because my mom's hacking and wheezing from the other room would wake me like clockwork. And she died of lung cancer at 53. So maybe I'm biased.
    Sex, on the other hand, has LOTS of redeeming features. And that's all I'll say on that subject.
    I've always said, "DON'T F*CK with Israel!" Looks like Hamas needs some more educatin'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buck, I am sure your friend is the finest, kindest, most considerate of persons - after all he/she (I'm betting your friend is male) is your friend. I didn't mean to imply that your friend was not a good person by my "sex problem" comment. Although your friend obviously thinks you are a fine, kind considerate person, yet he/she believes you need to "get laid." So, what is he/she really saying? I'm not sure, but it seems more simple to drink the two fingers of 15 yr. old single malt - should solve most of ya'lls problems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daphne sez: I've met so many solid women past forty who are busy with their own lives and don't want the disruption a marriage or formal relationship would entail...

    I should move to Austin, or somewhere similar. ;-) I should also mention I've known a few solid, respectable women of the type you describe, as well. But they tend to live in cities, not rural areas. It's pretty tough to find a "friend with benefits" in a town of only 12,000 souls. I know: move. And believe me... I've thought about it in my "times of need." But inertia is an ugly thing... and that's ALL my fault.

    I love firing one up with my first cup of coffee or after a meal. Pouring a cocktail and lighting that smoke on the back porch satisfies some deep well of satisfied being in my soul.

    Wooo-eee... EXACTLY. Here I sit, downing my second cup and wanting one SO bad. The rituals you describe were the same for me, Daphne, and the reason I didn't quit until I absolutely HAD to. And I most-definitely hear ya on the tax thing... ciggies cost about a quarter a pack... ya, 25 cents... in the base exchange/commissary when I began smoking back in 1961. They're over five bucks in some places now, and that's nearly ALL taxes.

    Christina: Your points about your Mom is why I quit. I felt I didn't have much choice... my health was deteriorating rapidly, and it remains to be seen if I'll dodge the cancer bullet. Your Mom was waaay too young to go, at 53. I'm sorry to hear that.

    Lou sez: Although your friend obviously thinks you are a fine, kind considerate person, yet he/she believes you need to "get laid." So, what is he/she really saying?

    There's a lot at play here. First is history. My friend and I go back over 30 years and we have a rich and varied shared past. I can read "between the lines" of my friend's note and understand where he's coming from (yes, he).

    Second is that ol' male attitude that there's nothing sex can't cure. And while that line of thinking is debatable, I tend to agree with it in general terms. That attitude was a hot button with TSMP, btw. I won't go into any great detail here, but it would all begin with me saying "I think you need to get laid..." and we'd be off to the races. And NOT in a good way. ;-)

    Third... there's NO amount of alcohol that will solve a "certain lack," if ya get my drift. Postpone it, perhaps, or distract you for a while... but most certainly NOT a suitable substitute. That's my experience, anyhoo.

    Hope that helped in some small way.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.