Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Trials and Tribulations

My trial period with Google Chrome is over… after using it as my default browser for not quite two weeks. I’ve reverted back to Firefox, for a number of reasons. First and foremost: Chrome doesn’t play well with others, and most specifically Google’s own Blogger application. It’s come to my attention (through trial and error, with the emphasis on “error”) that the browser you use affects how Blogger handles your attempts to post. Firefox seems to behave better than Chrome in this regard.


Secondly… I noticed Chrome doesn’t handle some instances of embedded video well… not at all, actually. The example I’m speaking of is when a web site provides you with a clickable link to a video in Windows’ Media Player format. Clicking that link in Firefox activates the video (using Windows’ Media Player); clicking that same link using Chrome gives you a dialog box that asks where you want to save the video. Well… I don’t want to save every damned multi-hundred-megabyte video file I come across… I want to watch it, and I want to watch it now! But… I can’t, using Chrome. There are other nits about Chrome as well, but I can’t think of any at the moment. The foregoing two reasons are enough to make me retreat to Firefox.


Nice try, Google… but no cigar.


―:
:―

Good news, this… but why do I have to read it in The Guardian, and not a US newspaper? (“Future brightens for internet radio”) Excerpts:


Internet radio stations threatened with closure in the US are on the verge of securing their future, after a groundswell of support from users.

Tim Westergren, who founded popular online music service Pandora, said that phone calls from thousands of fans helped to repel a "sneak attack" by media industry lobbyists who were attempting to derail new legislation.

"We emailed all our listeners and said to them to call their representative, and buried the Hill in phone calls," Westergren said yesterday. "We beat back a concerted attempt to knock us out."

[…]

A new proposal which gives internet radio stations more time to renegotiate the settlement was put forward, but organisations including the National Association of Broadcasters had attempted to scupper the deal.

However, with grassroots campaigners swamping senators and representatives over the issue, Westergren said he was confident the new deal would succeed in the next few days.

He also suggested that the incident could be a breakthrough moment for those who want to harness consumer power online to fight established Capitol Hill lobbyists.


People Power! Yes! We Can! (oops. I think The One has trademarked that last comment. So… never mind.) This is great good news. I’ve worried about the future of internet radio for quite some time now.


―:
:―


I owe ASW a big “thank ya!” for turning me on imeem.com… a pretty cool social networking site that’s all about music… which is why I signed up for their service this morning. A few months back ASW gave me a link to a song by Collective Soul I was looking for… or rather a specific version of the song I was looking for. And I just now got around to signing up. I’m pretty slow, sometimes. (ed: Sometimes?)

Feels Like Rain - John Hiatt


So… my inaugural imeem post is my favorite song from John Hiatt… lyrics below.


Down here the river meets the sea
And in the sticky heat I feel ya' open up to me
Love comes out of nowhere baby, like a hurricane
And it feels like rain

Underneath the stars lying next to you
Wondering who you are baby
How do you do?
When the clouds blow in across the moon
And the wind howls out your name
Feels like rain

We'll never make that bridge tonight
Across Lake Ponchartrain
Feel like rain

Batten down the hatches
But keep your heart out on your sleeve
A little bit of stormy weather, that's no cause for us to leave
Just stay here baby, in my arms
Let it wash away the pain
Feels like rain

11 comments:

  1. Thank goodness about Pandora! The Oracle and I listen to that all the time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If ya wanna know the truth, Obama stole the whole "Yes we can" thing from Bob the Builder. "Bob the Builder, can we fix it? Bob the Builder YES WE CAN!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago when we were homeschooling, the government tried to pass some education bill that was not good. The homeschoolers across America literally shut the phone lines down on the Hill in Washington DC. And the law did not pass. It does make you feel like you have a say in things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bag blog----I opened a new window in Lloyd Bentsen's office when one of his staffers refused to give me the Senator's fax number. The staffer told me they didn't want homeschoolers bogging down their office during that episode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not too bright when it comes to computer workings Buck, so I suscribe to the KISS{Keep it simple stupid} system. It's the only way to keep what little sanity I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck,

    I'm becoming a bigger Pandora fan every day.

    Based on your post, I won't even try Chrome.

    Now, if only I could figure out a fairly new problem: my up-to-date Firefox won't play embedded YouTube video. Have to cut and paste to IE to watch. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Collective Soul? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the ones who sing "Hungry Strike" and "Heaven" right?

    Sorry, I'm terrible when lining up songs to bands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris: Yeah, I listen to Pandora a lot as well.

    Jenny: I'd never heard of Bob the Builder before... I must lead a sheltered life.

    Lou sez: It does make you feel like you have a say in things.

    Unless you're trying to e-mail your congress critter. I read that the House's web server (which also handles an "e-mail your Rep" function) was overwhelmed by the amount of traffic they were receiving about the rescue/bail-out.

    Deborah sez: I opened a new window in Lloyd Bentsen's office...

    Literally, Deborah? ;-)

    Pat: Whatever works for ya, Bud!

    Doc sez: Now, if only I could figure out a fairly new problem: my up-to-date Firefox won't play embedded YouTube video. Have to cut and paste to IE to watch. :-(

    That's still happening to me, as well. Videos work fine for a while, then just quit. Re-starting Firefox seems to work, for a while... but ONLY for a while. Chrome was no better in this regard, btw. One of those nit-noy things that irritate the HELL out of ya.

    Michelle: I know CS did a song called "Heaven's Already Here," but I'm not familiar with a song called Hungry (or Hunger) Strike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Buck! I'm terrible when it comes to the name of songs too. I usually just go, "yanno, the one song that goes da-da-da-yeah." lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uncle Buck,

    Been using Chrome for a few weeks now...my take? Its just OK. Nothing to really write home about other than it does seem to load pages a few seconds faster than IE...but seems to make up that time when DL'ing video's. and like you said...some other stuff i really don't remember but somewhat...aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jay: The one thing I DID like about Chrome was that it runs a separate instance of itself in each tab. So, if some web site crashes your browser, you only lose that one tab instead of the whole shootin' match. That's pretty cool. Chrome also seemed to use less memory than either FF or IE, too. But that ain't enough for me to make it my default browser.

    Michelle: We each have our "talents," eh? And yours are CONSIDERABLE! I'd trade my song-recall (which ain't all THAT good) for your drawing ability... any day. Among other things! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.