Friday, August 01, 2008

Random Thoughts for a Friday

First… Jenn over at “I Hate Whine!” bestowed the Arte y Pico award on YrHmblScrb, and said award was unknown to me until today. But that’s true of a lot (perhaps most) of the “awards” circulating throughout the ‘sphere. Here’s what the award (icon?) looks like:

And here’s what it means, according to its creator:

What is the meaning of the expression: And basically, ironically, it translates into a wonderful phrase in Mexico, “lo maximo.” LOL! It will never find its counterpart in English, but if it HAD to, it would be something like, Wow. The Best Art. Over the top.

The recipient of the award is supposed to grant it to five other worthy bloggers… and herein lay my “issues.” While I most certainly appreciate kind words about EIP, a link to us in your sidebar or a compliment dropped in comments is entirely sufficient. I’ll make exceptions if you happen to be from the Pulitzer Board, or a member of the Swedish Academy, or even if you're associated with the Weblog Awards. At which point we most definitely should talk…after you pick me up off the floor and revive me. Other than that? Thanks, but no thanks. Individually created “awards” may be fun but they’re meaningless… like those last-place trophies kids get these days for doing anything…anything at all.

Oh. As for “passing it on”… if you’re in my sidebar, consider yourself Arte y Pico’ed.

―:☺:―

While we’re on about blogs… I read more than a few blogs that might be considered “Mommy Blogs.” I dunno if Mil-spouse blogs fall into that category, but I suspect they do…and a few of those are in my sidebar, as well. I’ve noticed I’m the ONLY male reading a lot of these blogs, or at the very least I’m the only male who leaves comments. And that makes me feel a bit strange at times, like I’m someplace where I shouldn’t really BE, ya know? It’s sorta like walking into the women’s bathroom by mistake or being the only guy at a baby shower… it’s just not done. Which says nothing…nothing at ALL… about the hospitality of the proprietresses of said blogs, as they ALL respond to my comments (well, most do, anyway) and they all drop by EIP to read and comment, too.

So, why am I even mentioning this? No reason, except for the fact I noticed I’m the only guy at the party and it makes me feel weird. And that’s the sole reason… I said these are Random Thoughts, ya know.

―:☺:―

And even more about blogs and blogging… Do you go back and read your own stuff, from time to time, Gentle Reader? Assuming, of course, (a) you keep a blog and (b) you’ve been at it long enough to have archives. I’ve been doing that of late and have come to the conclusion that I was MUCH better at this during my first year of blogging. Or maybe even the first year and a half. I’m not sure exactly why I feel this way, but my old writing seems crisper, the opinions firmer, and the subject matter much broader than it is today. Maybe I’m in the depths of the Summer Doldrums. Maybe my Muse is goofing off and not giving me her best. Or maybe I just need to get out more… like take a road trip.

As for the last, that ain’t gonna happen this year. I’ve declared this summer…this entire year, actually… to be The Summer of Living Frugally… as I’m trying to put enough “resources” back to pay for the second installment of my Adventures In Modern Dentistry without tapping my 401(k) again. My one indulgence this year was buying that new dSLR… and that may be the key to Better Blogging.

We’ll see.

―:☺:―

Today’s Pics: A couple of way-old shots from the archives, at least one of which (Blue Eyes) is a re-run. Pictured is SN3 playing around in the car, which he dearly loved to do when he was around 16 months old (or so). That boy could literally spend hours climbing around inside the car, pushing every button he could find and giggling like a madman. But then again, I suspect ALL kids are like that. He sure as Hell made ME laugh while he was at it.

At the Ol’ Homestead in Perinton, NY (a suburb of Rochester), 1998.

14 comments:

  1. I guess that I am one of those milspouse/mommy blogs of which you speak.
    Oddly enough, we have a lot in common; RV's (I need to look at your archives, ours look very similar), motorcycles, and we each have adorable blue-eyed children :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn: PLEASE don't get the idea I'm unappreciative about the Arte y Pico award. That's certainly NOT the case, and I tried to be clear on that. I just have issues with awards for workman-like (journeyman?) performance in ANY sort of endeavor, kinda like my issue with the proliferation of military awards and decs. Same difference. In the world I used to live in, awards were given for extraordinary things, not for just "showing up."

    Susan: You're right: we DO have much in common. I can add SoCal, the beach, and the military to your list of things we share. More than that, you're a great writer and I enjoy your "stuff." But, that said, am I all wet about being the only guy who comments at your place? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do go back and read my old stuff. And even though I've only been actively blogging for about 2 years, I do find the stuff I did about one year ago was far better than some of the stuff I've done recently. That said - I'm trying to ratchet things up a bit, at least in the prose department. Not so sure it's working - as you say Buck, YMMV.

    Love the pics!

    And I know what you mean about being the "only one at the party". Being a total civilian, sometimes I find commenting at true mil-blogs a bit more than intimidating. I think it took me a couple of months before I commented at Lex's site the first time (way in the way back...).

    Keep on truckin' Buck. I suspect you aren't unwelcomed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck,
    As far as I know, you're the only guy that comments on my site. I wonder if any other guys are reading... I may never know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, such cute blue eyes to match that beautiful car! FWIW, I have to check all the switches and knobs whenever I get into mine. Drew likes to switch on the windshield wipers and the 4-wheel drive when I'm not looking.

    It IS the summer of Frugality. We didn't take any trips this summer, no camping, no swim lessons, no movies. This will be known as "The summer we did NOTHING". Well, I did take the kids to the McD's playland in Pville, does that count?

    I don't mind you being the only guy around my blog. I know others are reading it (hubby, daddy, FIL, possibly some brothers and cousins), but you are the only one that comments. But if not for you, I may have no comments at all! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn says: I'm sorry if you took anything I said to mean I was upset .

    It wasn't anything you said, Jenn. I think you're far too polite to be outright accusatory without good cause. I just didn't want you to think I'm an ingrate.

    Kris: FWIW, *I* feel like an outsider at Lex's blog most of the time, too. As you well know, a large part of Lex's community consists of naval aviators, past and present... and those who are/were Navy, if not aviators. I feel like a lonely ol' "other blue suit" guy over there, at times. But I've noted other USAF types have begun commenting in the last year or so. And then there's that (largely unspoken) officer/enlisted divide, as well, which is a whole HELLUVA lot stronger in the Navy than in the USAF. Case in point: I've NEVER seen an "Officer Country" sign on an air force base, ever. But they're all over ships. Hey! Did I just launch a major digression here, or what?

    Getting back on track... Thanks for confirming that "read your own stuff" habit of mine. And FWIW, once again, I haven't noticed the quality of your writing slipping... at all. Which only goes to prove we're our own worst critics, eh?

    Susan: Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Let's see if we can't get ya at least one other male reader/commenter, OK? ;-)

    Jenny: Thank you, too, for the reassurance and the kind words about SN3. And I hear ya about Drew and knobs... SN3 and I have had many go-rounds about his knob-twisting, LOL!

    Ummm... I suppose Mickie Dee's playland could count... That said... Is/was it just timing issues that's keeping all y'all home this year? Gas prices? Or just taking a year off? Enquiring Minds (tm) wanna know...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first year of blogging was much better than now. I think my life was more interesting then with building our house. Right now things are just kind of dull.

    I like it that you are the only guy at the party. There was a time when few men commented on your blog - most of your following were women. What man would not love that?

    My thoughts were like Jenny's - blue car to match the blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it impolite to disagree, Lou? Coz I find your current stuff VERY interesting. ;-)

    re: The time when few men commented on EIP... You're right about that. And I was pleased at that point in time, but a lil bit... ummm... concerned, as well. While we men ALL wanna be surrounded by lovely women (which I am, and I thank The Diety At Hand for that!), we want the respect of our male peers, as well. Things eventually worked out, and I'm oh-so-glad for that.

    Thanks for the comment on SN3, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SN3 is a cutie. My little blue-eyed-knob-turner was a brunette. And she is almost 25 years old now.ouch.

    I don't think any of the women that comment on my blog mind that there's a guy at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are the only male at my blog as well, or at least the only one who comments. Not only do I not mind, I appreciate you being there. It's nice having a man's perspective on things. Well, most things anyway. ;)

    I also go back and read my old posts. I am like Lou in that I feel that many of my current posts are dull. Then again, I thought my old posts were dull when I wrote them, so maybe time improves them like fine wine.

    The little Blue Eyes picture is one of my favorites of Bobby, that and the one in which TSMP is teaching him to spit water with the garden hose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those pictures of SN3. His eyes almost match the car!

    I agree with what Lou said about being the only guy at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re: getting away. A bit of a combination of all three. Timing in that when we had hoped to go to Elephant Butte to see an uncle, we felt to guilty to go anywhere since we had had no rain, thus no crop in the ground. And with fuel the way it was/is, felt guilty going anywhere for that reason as well. Then we got rain and were so busy planting we didn't get to go anywhere during July. And now that everything is planted, no more time since school starts in a couple weeks and we still have cattle to work. It's always something. We will at least try to go camping Labor Day, but will even be doing that a day later because we have a football game that Shelby has to cheer at on Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy sez: SN3 is a cutie. My little blue-eyed-knob-turner was a brunette. And she is almost 25 years old now.ouch.

    I hear ya bout the "ouch," Amy. SN1 turns 42 (the answer!) this month, and SN2 turns 40 in the Fall. Ouch, indeed!

    Becky sez: You are the only male at my blog as well, or at least the only one who comments. Not only do I not mind, I appreciate you being there. It's nice having a man's perspective on things. Well, most things anyway. ;)

    MOST things? Hmmm... I wonder what the exception(s) could be? ;-)

    Funny you should mention those two specific SN3 pics, Becky. Both are among MY faves, as well!

    Ash: Thank ya, Ma'am!

    Jenny: I sorta suspected all your answers... in combination... were the reason(s) all y'all were staying home, especially the planting bits, knowing that you got a "late" (or last, last minute) start. Fuel has come down a lil bit, tho, and that's a good thing! That said, just reading all the stuff you've got on your plate makes me tired! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hell Buck...take that Road Trip....the AF can pay for the tooth/teeth work.....

    Remember that great dental plan we had in the old days?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.