Tuesday, February 19, 2008

“And You Can Wear It, Too…”

So closes the song “U.S. Air Force Blue,” as sung by the Mitch Miller Singers back in 1957. I much prefer the official USAF song, but this ain’t bad. The film clip features front-line aircraft from the era, including the venerable F-86 Sabre, the F-100 Super Sabre, F-102 Delta Dagger, and F-104 Starfighter. Bombers include the B-47, the B-52, B-57, and B-66.

Just to put things in perspective…I was 12 years old when this short was released and living in Ankara, Turkey. My Dad was the AFOSI detachment vice-commander in Ankara at the time. A little over six years later I would put on Air Force Blue and wear it for the next 22 years.

My, how time flies!

(h/t: AFA’s Daily Report)

3 comments:

  1. I think some of those same B-52s are still flying today Buck....as are the ones I "humped" back in 1970 at "The Griff" in upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing along with Mitch - that brings back some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat sez: I think some of those same B-52s are still flying today Buck....as are the ones I "humped" back in 1970 at "The Griff" in upstate NY.

    Maybe, Pat, but I kinda doubt it. Those are probably B-52As, Bs, and maybe Cs in the video. The "H" is the only variant left in service.

    Lou: Good or bad memories? I put Mitch Miller in the same category as Lawrence Welk, who was guaranteed to clear the room of anyone and everyone under the age of 18 when he came on the teevee back in the day. YMMV, of course!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.