Friday, December 07, 2007

Pearl Harbor Day


From last year's post...which I cannot improve upon, today:
It’s said — quite often and by many, many people — that 9/11/2001 “changed everything.” And it is indeed true for the current generations of Americans. But I’ll submit that 12/07/1941 “changed everything” to a degree it is impossible for us who were not alive and going about our business on that Sunday in December, 1941 to realize. Those of us whose parents were members of The Greatest Generation understand my point. A smaller subset, those of us whose parents fought in World War II, understand the point a little bit better, perhaps. We have the benefit of hearing the first-person narratives of that day in December 1941, and stories from the long, long days that followed…from the dark and despair of the war’s first year to the signing of the Japanese surrender on the decks of the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay not quite four years later. And a lot in between.

They are leaving us. The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association is holding their last meeting today.

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - With their number quickly dwindling, survivors of Pearl Harbor will gather Thursday one last time to honor those killed by the Japanese 65 years ago, and to mark a day that lives in infamy.

This will be their last visit to this watery grave to share stories, exchange smiles, find peace and salute their fallen friends. This, they say, will be their final farewell.

"This will be one to remember," said Mal Middlesworth, president of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association. "It's going to be something that we'll cherish forever."

The survivors have met here every five years for four decades, but they're now in their 80s or 90s and are not counting on a 70th reunion. They have made every effort to report for one final roll call.

Their last meeting. I know All Things Must Pass, but it saddens me so. We owe them so much, and our thank-yous seem inadequate compared to the sacrifices they made.

But: We shall continue, we shall honor their sacrifices, we will remember, and we shall rededicate ourselves to the task that faces this generation…the one that began on 9/11/2001. The Greatest Generation expects it from us.

The image above was taken from The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association web site.

8 comments:

  1. Growning up in the shadow of Pearl Harbor, I am grateful to all who remember and who are interested in the history.

    Those who were survivors of that day - not just the sailors, but the people of Honolulu - are fewer each year. Fortunately, many told me their stories. They impressed the importance of the day upon me.

    We must NEVER forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visited the AZ Memorial in April 1970.....on R&R from Tan Son Nhut. The Oil was coming to the top back then, and today nearly 38 years later, I hear it still is. What a somber site/sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted about Pearl Harbor. I remembered, but did not post about it. It is sad that so many of our WWII heroes are gone. It is good to keep their memory alive.

    One of my miliblog soldiers posted a photo of the oil still coming up from the Arizona. http://ltnixonrants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, those of use who can remember need to tell our kids, we must never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked you comment about the USNS Rose, it was not exactly like a cruise ship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My great uncle survived Pearl Harbor. He died before I knew much about history, and lived far away too, so I never got the opportunity to talk to him. His widow, my aunt, went to the last reunion for him last year. How sad that generation is almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia said: Growning up in the shadow of Pearl Harbor, I am grateful to all who remember and who are interested in the history.

    And I'm grateful for the post you put up to honor the dead at Pearl, Cynthia. Thank you.

    Pat: The oil is still leaking, as Lou indicated.

    Lou: Thanks for the link. LT Nixon writes an interesting blog, eh?

    Sarge: Thanks for dropping by. Who'd thunk it...that we sailed on the same ship, albeit in different times and circumstances?

    Jenny said: How sad that generation is almost gone.

    I tried to find out just how many survivors are left before I put up yesterday's post, but couldn't find anything. Unusual in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember President Roosevelt' speech about Pearl Harbor. Listened through an old tube radio that crackled and snapped. It was something else. So was the war. We survived but it was hard going for my mom and me.

    I never thought when I was ten years old that I could ever like the Japanese, but when I got there at 20 years old, I really surprised myself and liked almost every one of those I come to know.

    The hibachi was the worst for me. I had no idea kerosene stoves were in use in the 50s when I was there but hibachis were everywhere.

    Thanks for your visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.