Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Ugly Is As Ugly Does

I’m just sick-to-frickin’-DEATH with all this “gotcha!” horseshit. From The Fishwrap Du Jour:

The back and forth on the Petraeus advertisement and, now, over Mr. Limbaugh’s remarks, illustrates how both parties are turning miscues into fodder in the run up to the 2008 elections, particularly in the absence of serious legislative accomplishment when it comes to the war.

Republicans used to be considered superior at drumming up a quick controversy over some actual or perceived Democratic outrage. But Democrats and sympathetic advocacy groups are catching up fast. And the political exchanges are being amplified by the reach and power of the Internet and the repetition of the 24-hour news cycle.

I try to remind myself that “average Americans,” which would be those folks who don’t read blogs and most especially Lefty blogs, more than likely don’t give two shites about any of this. But the fly in MY ointment is the fact that I DO read the blogs, and I read both Left and Right. And I’m getting increasingly distressed at the outpouring of bile and spittle from BOTH frickin’ sides. Just look at this:

That, Gentle Reader, is a snapshot of Memeorandum’s page as I write this post. If all this krep were in print half of any given national forest would be gone just by generating a normal print run. Everyone seems to be having a field day with this.

I see at least one critical difference between the “Betray Us” brouhaha and the current flap about Limbaugh. MoveOn was demonstrably defaming a general who is leading combat forces and who was compelled, by law, to testify in front of Congress. Limbaugh, on the other hand, made an off-hand remark on his radio show that was taken out of context by politically motivated people looking for retribution for the MoveOn smack-down. And I’m thinking most particularly about the folks at Media Matters. And just how politically motivated are the folks at Media Matters?

And even though there are political arguments on all sides of this controversy, independent-minded critics who look at Media Matters might conclude that its political motivations are simply too strong to merit serious consideration. In addition to its ties to major Democratic donors and to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Media Matters is a deeply politicized organization down to its lowest levels. In the past few days, it has posted eleven stories on the Limbaugh matter. Those postings were written by, among others, Julie Millican, a veteran of the Kerry campaign, MoveOn.org, and the Democratic turnout organization America Coming Together; Sarah Pavlus, formerly of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee; Andrew Ironside, who worked for the Howard Dean campaign; Adam Shah, a lawyer who worked for the Alliance for Justice, the organization best known for opposing President Bush’s judicial nominees; Jeremy Schulman, a former spokesman for Colorado Democratic congressional candidate Dave Thomas; and Matthew Gertz, former deputy campaign manager for Connecticut Democratic congressional candidate Diane Farrell, as well as intern for New York Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer.

That’s from National Review Online, a right-wing publication. Fact-check to your heart’s content, but I don’t think you’ll find any lies in the paragraph immediately above. Personally, I think this is yet another battle in the fight to re-impose the Fairness Doctrine. Those on the Left won’t be satisfied until those on the Right are (effectively) silenced. My opinion, Gentle Reader. Your Mileage Most Certainly May Vary.

It’s getting really, really ugly out there. (And screw you, Cafferty... you don’t own that phrase.)

7 comments:

  1. It really chaps me that Rush's words were taken out of context. Just another bit of mudslinging from the Left, who seem to stop at absolutely frickin' nothing, no matter how many lies or pockets they try to line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very interested to read that the average American is not a blog reader ...

    What age group would that be, Buck? 35+ maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David: Here's the abbreviated results of a Pew poll on (American) internet use. Quoting the relevant bits:

    Another way to render these numbers is to note that 6% of the entire U.S. adult population (internet users and non-users alike) have created blogs. That’s one out of every 20 people. And 16% of all U.S. adults (or one in six people) are blog readers.
    ...
    Again, those ages 18-29 are much more likely to have read blogs than their elders: 36% of online younger adults have read blogs compared to 18% of those who use the internet and are 50 and older.


    Wow...I'm an anomaly! ;-)

    Jenny: I agree with you, completely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The average American is not a blog reader.

    I agree with that. I am the only person I know who regularly reads blogs other than strictly family blogs. Most people I question ask "What's a blog?" But then again, I don't exactly hang out with a lot of teeny boppers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that many politicos have My Space probably to gain the interest of the younger crowds. I would not think that having a My Space account would qualify anyone as a blogger or blog reader, but it would certainly up the percentage of bloggers if it were counted. For the most part, people around my area do not read blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad part is, a majority of Americans are sheep...they will believe anything numskulls like Jon Stewart and Keith Olbermann put out....As for the likes of Pelosi, Reid, and Wes Clark....hacks!

    I don't listen to Rush much these days, but I do know he supports the troops, the real troops(like we were) not the phony SOBs who lie about their so called service.

    As for Cigars and Beer...the season for cigars is winding down(once it gets to cold to smoke on the porch), and I'll be switching from Miller Lite to fall brews shortly...drinking less in the colder weather, but enjoying it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a big fan of Rush Limbaugh - that kind of romper room behaviour just doesn't appeal to me. But, for god's sake this is a non-issue! The Dems are pretty desperate to go after this non-smoking-gun. Which makes me wonder if we should just let them spin themselves right into the ground with their little temper tantrum...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.