Friday, August 03, 2007

I Brake for Cherries!

Do you like plane pr0n? (“Who doesn’t?” is the appropriate answer, in case you’re wondering.) If so, get on over to Steeljaw Scribe’s place, coz he’s posted a ten minute home video, transferred from 8mm film, of USN carrier operations in the 1954-1955 timeframe, and it’s great…not good, but great…stuff.

Elton John, self-confessed Luddite. You can’t make this stuff up, ya know. I’m talking about stuff like this:

“I do think it would be an incredible experiment to shut down the whole internet for five years and see what sort of art is produced over that span.

“There’s too much technology available."

“Rocket Man,” indeed. Put a sock in it, Sir Elton.

(h/t: Gerard)

Also via Gerard, an excellent essay in the Claremont Institute’s blog, “Recruiting for Element R.” Excerpts:

But in the simplistic polarization between Republicans and Democrats, I believe something is missing - the noble virtue called responsibility. We have a party of the right that prioritizes freedom and the individual viewpoint, competing against a party of the left that prioritizes equality and the communal viewpoint. Seldom asked amid the struggle is the question, "Why? Equality or freedom for what?"

America's democratic conversation occurs in a moral vacuum as to the ultimate ends of human life, even when the air is thick with moral and spiritual rhetoric. Victory may seesaw between the two parties, yet duty steadily loses ground to selfishness, faith to skepticism, prudence to expediency, temperance to excess, higher to lower. The responsibility deficit worsens among us, no matter which side wins.

It’s a short little essay with a Big Point, one that I agree with. The Democrats are really, really big these days on “accountability.” That’s the raison d’être for all these frickin’ witch hunts …er…investigations… no, that’s not right, either… fishing expeditions (got it!) into such things as firing politically-appointed federal prosecutors and the Plame Game. When there just might be real work to be done, like appropriation bills for the upcoming fiscal year. In which case, Gentle Reader, they’ve abdicated their responsibilities in favor of…what? Political point-scoring? You’ll note the essay takes both parties to task, and rightly so. But the Republicans got their comeuppance last November. The Dems are likely to suffer the same fate next November if they continue to disregard their responsibilities.

Just sayin’.

Today’s Pic: While I may not have as many pics of RV parks as I thought I did (see yesterday’s first post), I have literally HUNDREDS of windshield shots I took from the driver’s perch in El Casa Móvil De Pennington at various times during my travels hither and yon. This pic was taken somewhere in Washington state, just west of the Cascades. I failed to see the humor in it originally…my intent was to grab a shot of the road with the spectacular mountain scenery in the background. What I got, inadvertently, was visible evidence…quite visible…of a potential bumper sticker, to wit: “I Brake for CHERRIES!”

June, 2000.

6 comments:

  1. It looks like many a person has slammed on their brakes to stop for cherries. Even Kermit seems to be pointing the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about shutting down the internet for five years, but I'm all for a year of people (ALL people) not making a baby.

    Just one year. I just want to see what would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, are you not getting enough to eat? Why would you want people to not have babies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori said: I'm all for a year of people (ALL people) not making a baby.

    Are you talking about procreation, actually birthing kids, or the act of making them, i.e., sex? If it's the latter, GOOD LUCK. And if it's the latter, are you talking about all forms of sex, between, with, and among ALL people, even us single folks? ;-)

    But I'm with Lou: Why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was talking about procreation.

    I just think it would be a nice break for overpopulation if people would not have babies for a year. I know, I know, it would put a big dent in the baby clothing/food/gotta-have-it-for-my-kid biz. But I still daydream about it.

    Have all the sex you want during that same year. Just don't get pregnant or get someone pregnant.

    Among many personal areas of relief for me, it would be nice to know I could fly on any airline without the squalling of a baby whose ears hurt.

    But it's just a daydream, and that's all it will ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was talking about procreation.


    Thanks for the clarification, Lori. An interesting thought, that.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.