Saturday, June 02, 2007

From the La Quinta Inn in Beautiful Downtown Moab, Utah

An alternate title would be: "On the Road Again." All y'all can just hum along with Willie as you read this.

So. Yesterday worked out pretty much as expected: graduation came off without a hitch, speeches were delivered by faculty, valedictorians, and other dignitaries (ho-hum-- they're all the same, right? or am I jaded?), the proud graduates moved elegantly across the stage (some more so than others), parents cheered, friends blew off those obnoxious air horns, and -- finally -- mortarboard tassels were moved from left to right. Out into the world...

That was the graduation ceremony. The rest of the day was about as atypical a graduation day as one could imagine. SN1 and extended family worked late into the night on the move, still disassembling, still packing, still loading. The process isn't complete as I write. I spoke with SN1 a few minutes ago and the load-out continues. Hopefully all will be complete by the target departure date: tomorrow. Knowing Buck as I do, it will.

As for me... I left SN1's place at oh-dark-thirty (0605 hrs, to be precise) this morning and made much better time to Moab-- five hours flat--than I anticipated. The 'Zuki simply hummed along at speeds varying between 75 and 85 mph. It was something of a chore to hold the speed down to a reasonable-- and semi-legal --rate, given I was motoring in the Great Wide Open. It seemed like every other time I looked down I was doing 90 mph...or better. The authorities tend to frown on that sort of behavior, even out in the Great Wide Open. I held the 'Zuki in check and got 52 mpg...even at the speeds indicated, by the way.

Once I arrived in Moab I spent the better part of the day motoring through and around Arches National Park, which is just about as spectacular a park as there is in our National Park system. The vistas, the rock formations, the geologic wonder of it all, are simply amazing. Add in the fact that the roads winding through the park are simply made for motorcycles and you have a close approximation of YrHmblScrb's vision of Heaven on Earth. I have some great pictures to share with you once I return home.

One minor downside: it was about 95 degrees in Moab today. I didn't mind the temps when I was rolling; I made "adjustments" by turning the sleeves on my leathers up and leaving the zipper on the top part of my leathers half-open...evaporative cooling really works. But when I stopped and stepped out on one of the numerous trails I followed to various vistas: Sweat-City! Suffice it to say I really, really needed that long shower when I checked in to the motel. Now I have to figure out how to deodorize my leathers. I think Febreze will be my friend.

Ah, but the end of the day just might be the best part of the day. As luck would have it, I stumbled on to The Moab Brewery, which was just a five minute walk from the La Quinta Inn. Like Rooster's (which I blogged about previously), the Moab Brewery had great food, great service, and GREAT beer. I dined on smoked Texas tri-tip BBQ, accompanied by wonderful home-made rolls (big enough to choke the proverbial horse) and a salad dressed with a lime vinaigrette that was superlative. AND I enjoyed two pints of their fine hefeweizen, followed up with a pint of Derailleur Ale ("six types of malt and four hearty hop additions") for dessert. All this enjoyed on their patio, graced with balmy breezes, and capped off with a view of the Moab skyline...which was created by God, not man. It doesn't...can't...get any better than this, Gentle Reader.

And so to bed. I feel so good this evening I may motor on back to P-Town in one sitting, rather than two as I originally planned. I really am hot to get home, but who knows what the road holds? I certainly don't...and that's part of the beauty of not having to be anywhere at any particular time.

Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. Buck - sounds like your entire trip has been just the sort of adventure that can cleanse the soul. Good for you! And safe traveling back to P-Town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris: What you said...It was that! Especially the last bits in Arches. Truly an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, glad to know that you have made it home safe and sound and that you had such a rewarding and invigorating time!

    I LOVE Arches. It's a hard place to describe, isn't it? Pictures sometimes don't even do it justice - although yours are on the right track. Keep 'em coming!

    My most memorable trip to Arches was when we tried to cook a chicken on a frigid, sleety Thanksgiving Day. (Don't ever try it) We've been there in the dog days of summer too. I sure could relate to your vivid description of hot discomfort a while back. But no matter what the weather, the place just doesn't seem real. You stare at it and almost doesn't compute. PERFECT little roads on which to run a bike, too!

    You'll have a great time going over all your images. Looking forward to you sharing them with us. (Grad photos, too?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bec says: My most memorable trip to Arches was when we tried to cook a chicken on a frigid, sleety Thanksgiving Day.

    I assume you weren't successful in the cooking, Bec? What did you wind up doing for dinner? Go into Moab? Enquiring Minds Wanna Know!! ;-)

    You are oh-so-right about the un-realness of Arches...it's definitely "other worldly." The beauty of the place is simply awesome, in the truest sense of the word. One feels so SMALL standing beneath the massive rock and sandstone formations...even small children tend to be quiet in this environment.

    Arches has to be one of the most-visited national parks in this part of the world. The campgrounds were full this past weekend and the roads were filled with pedal-bikers as well as motorcyclists. I'm sure glad I "made time" and stayed in Moab rather than press on towards home...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.