Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Sultry Sunday

It appears that the Left was finding its voice on Israel as I wrote the post I put up last evening. A perusal of memeorandum this morning reveals several posts from the Left regarding Israel, but the Right still outweighs the Left by a fifteen to one ratio…my best guess. And, predictably, a lot of the comment on the Left looks like this:
I've noticed some clucking in the right-wing wrongosphere about silence from the major left-wing blogs on the situation in the Middle East. There hasn't been silence, but there has been humility in the face of a fast-moving situation that is difficult to understand. I know I believed awhile back that the foreign policy course Bush pursued was disastrous, but I didn't know how that disaster would unfold. In other words, we may be watching an unfolding new war in its initial stages, or perhaps cooler heads will prevail, but either way I have no special insight on which direction this crisis will roll. I do know that the Friedman's and right-wing pundits who talked of freedom on the march are idiots, and shouldn't be listened to, and those who recognized that Bush's war on terror was always a fraud and based on a disastrous strategy were right.
The “wrongosphere.” It is to laugh…
Other articles on the subject of Israel I found informative and interesting include… British blogger Eric Lee’s post “The Left should be supporting Israel in this war” (that would be the British Left, but applicable none the less to the American Left); Michael J. Totten’s Middle East Journal and several articles in The Jerusalem Post, including this interview with the Major General Eliezer Shkedy, the Israeli Air Force’s Chief of Staff, from which I’ll quote just a small part:
Maybe in the end we'll kill more people because we weren't ruthless enough at the start, because we encouraged them to become bolder? Maybe we're too moral, for our own good and theirs?
That's a very interesting philosophical question, with practical consequences. And yet I'll tell you something...
(Shkedy pauses here for a full 20 seconds.) Ultimately our strength is not solely our military power. That's part of our strength. The strength of the Jewish people in the State of Israel and the Land of Israel is first and foremost our profound moral strength. Everything stems from that.
If we were to lower our standards, not to find a solution that meets the highest ethical standards, that would be a mistake with far more, immense significance for us as a nation and a state and as people than the operational error.
That's the great strength that I believe in. That's how I educate the people [in the IAF], and that's what the air force does. And, still, I'm aware that this is war, with live fire, and things will happen that I don't want to happen. Because to protect your child and my child, that can happen.
That's some answer. But to ask again, though, solely from the moral perspective: we may end up being less moral because in the end we have to...
You always have to look at the overall picture. In accordance with the specific situation, in the context we are talking about with the Kassams, mine is the right answer. In extreme situations, you behave in extreme ways.
Ultimately you have the norms that you live by, the moral standards, and each issue has to be judged on its own basis.
The exchange above was prompted by a discussion about how difficult it is to hit terrorists because of the tactics they use, i.e., hiding among and behind civilians. Israel’s critics, cynics all, for the most part, will pooh-pooh the general’s response as nothing but PR, but I choose to believe what he says. The point has been made often by Israel’s supporters that Israel is a western democracy, and in so being it lives by and under western morals, values, and ethics. The general’s comments are proof.
There’s a tremendous amount of material on the subject at memeorandum; you can pick and choose and read all day, if you so desire.
So. My weird sleeping habits have resurfaced. To make a long story short, I awoke from an extended “nap” around midnite last night. I popped open a beer, stepped outside, lit a ciggie, pulled up one of my camp chairs and just sat…contemplating the quiet, balmy night. And it was balmy, indeed. 72 degrees at midnight. I thought, ever so briefly, about going back inside, grabbing the camera and tripod and heading out of town to take a few night shots away from the city (!) lights. I changed my mind once my eyes became accustomed to the gloom…there was a thin layer of cirrus clouds that more or less (a lot more than less) shot that idea in the ass, to wit: the stars weren’t all that visible. No matter. There will be other, clearer nights this summer. Suffice to say I simply enjoyed the quiet last evening… a lot.
And so it goes…

11 comments:

  1. Are you on holiday in Londonistan, Ahmedinajad? Shopping the stalls in Camden Market for good deals on centrifuges, maybe?

    Continent : Europe
    Country : United Kingdom (Facts)
    State/Region : Reading
    City : Swallowfield
    Lat/Long : 51.3667, -0.95 (Map)
    Distance : 4,890 miles


    You stay in your century and I'll stay in mine, m'kay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exitable bunch, aren't they? I'm not sure that Jesus approves of being dragged into this terrorist obession the Islamists feed on.

    Anyway, I've been enjoying your posts, Buck. Just haven't had time to comment lately (work again). Did want to share a C-SPAN interview that I thought was interesting. Hisham Melhem, an apologist for the Arab side, was bemoaning how hard it will be for Lebanon to rebuild and how Israel is always at fault for Arab hardships. A caller asked, How is it that Lebanon was able to rebuild and live peacefully for the last 5-6 years? (With the exception of a certain assassination carried out by Syria, I would add) Melhem couldn't answer. He worked around the entire issue. Darn that C-SPAN interviewer, he didn't pursue it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bec: Agreed on point #1.

    I saw that interview on Washington Journal late this morning. I didn't get up early enough (or stay up late enough is more like it) to see it in real-time, but I caught the re-run. I was amazed and mystified by some of the call-ins, as usual. But, you're right. The guy could dance!

    Thanks for your kind comments, and I hope your workload lightens up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Future faith of mankind? Hmmmm...anyone told the Chinese yet?

    All jokes aside, my personal belief is that the problem isn't with Islam specifically. The problem is with ANY militant religious group who try to FORCE their beliefs upon anyone. I'd say the same about my own religion, Catholicism, as it was responsible for one of the most bloody periods of time in history during the Inquisition.

    By the way...no one is DEMONISING Islam. Again, the religion itself is ok with me...as are most if they don't try to force their own views upon anyone else...

    The reason Islam is growing so quickly in Europe has to do with the declining birth rates amongst Europeans and the fact that Europe is having to import people to maintain the workforce.

    Round numbers, from an article read long ago, (and I'm too lazy to go look it up!) put the birth rate of Muslim women at something like 8 or 9 to 1 and the corresponding rate of most Europeans at something like 1.5-2.0.

    2.2 children per woman is the required minimum to maintain a population so what happens to Europe in 20 years??

    Food for thought?

    Anyway, people need to pay attention to all the factors in play, not just what suits you...

    My .02$
    (Shamelessly stolen from SN2!)
    SN1

    ReplyDelete
  5. SN1 sez: All jokes aside, my personal belief is that the problem isn't with Islam specifically. The problem is with ANY militant religious group who try to FORCE their beliefs upon anyone. I'd say the same about my own religion, Catholicism,...

    I'm trying to maintain that attitude (it's not Islam, it's Islamic fanatics), but I keep seeing significant evidence to the contrary. (I've written on this subject before, here.) The fact remains: not all Muslims are terrorists, but it seems like all terrorists are Muslims. (I should add "these days," now that the IRA have laid down their arms.)

    Your point about birth rates is well-taken. From what I've read, the US, with a birth rate of approx. 2.4 children/woman (that's from memory), is alone amongst the "developed" world in having a birth rate sufficient to sustain or grow the population. Russia, I've read, is the worst, with a birth rate of leass than 1.0. I'm too lazy to google the exact numbers right now, but I know I'm close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hezbollah's cross-border raid that captured two Israeli soldiers and killed eight others has provided a "unique moment" with a "convergence of interests" among Israel, some Arab regimes and even those in Lebanon who want to rein in the country's last private army, the senior Israeli official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing conflict.
    Robin Wright-Washington Post

    Afcapbuck says:
    Future faith of mankind? Hmmmm...anyone told the Chinese yet?

    Good point! :) I always like your comments. It's good to step back and take a wider view of things.
    I've been aware of Europe's population problem, too, and I've always found it interesting how well the Catholic and Muslim groups get along in Spain. (With the exception of the Madrid train incident). I think that we in the U.S. often forget how much shared Islamic heritage there has been in Europe's history - not all of it bad.
    How we almost lost our scientific roots The link below the article on "The Jews of Islamic Spain" was interesting, too. I had had a rosier picture of it than this links paints, however.

    But this is what I've always kept in mind throughout this tragic history of the Middle East:
    Jews and Arabs are genetic brothes. I hope one day they'll once again be able to get along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Say Buck -
    I've involved in a rather one-sided wrangle over at Obsidian Wings. Am I doing okay? I know that the reference to the peace demonstration in Israel was kind of lame (although interesting). Any pointers? (I know, I know. I started it, I'd better finish it.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bec says: Am I doing okay?

    I think you did great! You don't need any pointers from me... Good arguments, civil tone, great supporting links. And I have to say your main antagonist (Christmas) was pretty durned civil, too.

    Perhaps there's hope, eh? By that I mean of hope of being heard...because if you're heard, you plant a seed.

    And now I must post! Longish story, there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Buck! That means a lot coming from you.

    Sometimes I think there's hope - in the seed planting effort, that is. Can't hurt to try, I suppose. It's a much more balanced blog than Maha's, isn't it? I wouldn't have gotten any kind of hearing on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bec sez: It's a much more balanced blog than Maha's, isn't it? I wouldn't have gotten any kind of hearing on that one.

    My guess is you'd have been immediately "twit-filtered." Well, maybe not immediately. I'm sure Maha would have allowed sufficient time for you to be insulted by the Amen Chorus...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buck says: Well, maybe not immediately. I'm sure Maha would have allowed sufficient time for you to be insulted by the Amen Chorus...

    Big grin and a highly amused chuckle from yours truly!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.