Thursday, June 01, 2006

International Travel and a Russian War Story

Yesterday’s comment conversation between Sam and me about Russia reminded me that I’ve let my passport expire. (Parenthetical aside: I’m still struggling with terminology here, to wit: how to differentiate between Son Number Two and My Friend Sam. Hopefully when I say “Sam” SN2 will get the meaning and vice-versa.) My passport expired last year and I made a conscious decision not to renew it. And that seems strange, in retrospect, as there are still quite a few things and places remaining on my travel “to do” list. Things such as the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg, Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, Oktoberfest in Munich, and the pyramids in Egypt. And those are just four items on the “never done” side of the list. There is also a “got to go back” component as well, with places such as the Greek Aegean islands, Cappadocia, and Bangkok at the top of the list, followed by places in Europe too numerous to mention. My decision is doubly-strange when one considers that one of my military retirement benefits is “Space Available” travel to anywhere in the world the USAF flies its cargo aircraft (assuming those same aircraft take passengers. Not all do.). While Space-A travel isn’t free, it’s cheap: five bucks the last time I checked.

It’s not like I pulled my passport out of the drawer, looked at it, and said “Oh, Damn! It expired.” No, I knew the expiration date was approaching and gave considerable thought towards renewing. I decided not to. Why? Simply because I believe there aren’t a lot of places in the world these days where it’s safe for an American to travel, including Europe and the eastern Mediterranean. Perhaps I’m being irrational; I strongly suspect that’s the case. It pains me to think by giving in to my safety issues I’ve “let the terrorists win.”

I may have to reconsider. SN2 has informed me that one of his assignment possibilities following the Naval War College, and his first choice, is embassy duty in Cairo. I believe SN2 told me the assignment was a two-year tour, and he will take the family. SN1 and I discussed the possibility of SN2 going to Cairo the other night, the fact my passport is dead, and my conflict over whether I should renew if SN2 does proceed to Cairo, or not. SN1’s comment was “How could you not go?” Indeed. We’ll see how this unfolds…

But, back to Russia. My Russian adventure pre-dated digital still cameras, and more’s the pity. I did, however, go out and buy a video camera specifically to record my trip (which was in 1993, not '94 or '95 as I indicated in the comments yesterday), and record it I did, to the tune of eight (or more) 8mm tapes. I edited those 8mm tapes and transferred the results to VHS format and made copies for every team member that asked for one. Perhaps I’ll dig that old tape out and review it for war-story fodder that may or may not be suitable for blogging. I’ll have to go buy a new video cassette player first, though, as the one I have gave up the ghost quite some time ago. In the meantime…

My second, and final, trip to Moscow was to deliver the results of our study and a proposal to the client for implementing our recommendations. Communications, specifically long-distance international phone calls, out of Russia at that point in time were damned near impossible. It was my practice during my traveling days with EDS to phone home every day to let TSMP know I was OK, and (frankly) just to hear her voice. Based upon our communication difficulties during my first trip to Moscow, we agreed that she would initiate the calls and set up a time for her to ring me at my hotel. Paradoxically, incoming international calls always seemed to get through, it was outgoing international calls from Russia that were the problem. So…

Five o’clock in the morning. The phone rings and I think “What the Hell…?” as I fumble for the receiver on the nightstand. I mumble “Hello?” into the phone and hear TSMP on the other end, obviously highly agitated, exclaim “What the Hell is going on over there?”

“What do you mean?” sez I.

“You haven’t HEARD? It’s all over the news!!”

“Wha…?” sez I, still half-asleep and wondering if I’m dreaming, or if this is really real.

“Hang on.”

I grab the remote and turn on the TV. The only English language TV station available in my hotel is the BBC’s World Service, so I flip that on. And what do I see? A BBC correspondent standing in front of the British embassy in Moscow, signing off with “…and it appears Russia is poised on the brink of civil war. WTF? Which Russia? THIS Russia?

I return to the call with TSMP and try my best to reassure her that I am, in fact, in no danger, not even half-believing what I’m saying…simply because I don’t know. She expresses her concern again and we hang up. I return to the news on the TV, but there’s nothing else about the subject at hand. So, I do what any rational person would do: I went back to sleep.

Fast forward, just to make a long story short. (The whole story is here.) My colleague and I met for breakfast at the usual time later that morning. Surprisingly, he was unaware of what was going on. I told him what little I had learned from the BBC. We agree we’ll go to work and see what our hosts think of the situation. Our hosts, in short, dismissed the whole affair as “politics as usual.” Politics as usual, for me, doesn’t include T-72s parked on every other street corner and busload after busload of troops parked in alleyways all over Moscow. We get on the horn back to EDS headquarters in Texas, using our host’s private line. Our management is much more upset than we are, but the bottom line is “proceed with caution.” So, we did. We finished up our presentations and out-briefs with the client and re-scheduled our flight out of Moscow for the next day, which was Friday, October 1st. On October 3rd Russian army tanks shelled the White House (Russia’s parliament building) and the crisis was over.

Lots of excitement, eh?

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting story. I don't own a passport, never have. Though if they do make it so you need one to go to Canada I might have to get one. I figure like this.... at my age, and I've only visited 8 of the 50 states (and only parts of them at that), I could spend the rest of my life seeing America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Heavens! You were part of history, Buck! Who knows what was taking place all around you at that time? Have you read any history since then, to understand what you were looking at from your unique vantage point? Pretty nerve wracking to see all of those Russian tanks, I would say! (Would you ever have imagined that you could have been in that position just a few years prior?)

    Putin’s an interesting character. I’ve been keeping my eye on him. Here’s an interesting link for an analysis of the last three Russian leaders, if you’re interested in that kind of thing. (Although, you probably know more than I do!)
    http://www.policyreview.org/apr00/cohen.html

    So your passport has expired? My two sons have been meaning to get theirs for the first time, so they might be in line along with you, if you decide to do it. You have Space Available? My sister-in-law’s parents have that, too. You should use it, by all means, if you still want to travel about this planet. I know what you mean about the potential danger aspect, but I’d guess it would still be remote in most places. If you go to the Hermitage some day, think of me; I’ve always wanted to see it. I’ve heard that the Russian Museum (also in St. Petersburg) is a fantastic place, so if you wouldn’t mind, would you go there for me too? It isn’t visited as often as the Hermitage because it’s primarily Russian art – no Monets and stuff. http://www.rusmuseum.ru/eng/

    My husband I hope to travel one day soon. He went on a “work trip” to Italy a few years back and he’s made some gorgeous paintings from his photos. He’s dying for us to go together some day. It’s always been finances that keep us here. But one day, we’ll do it. Our oldest graduated from college just last Friday, so we’ve got only one left to go. (I’ve always had a hankering to see the British Isles, the Germanic nations, Russia and Eastern Europe myself, though. (Slovenia looks gorgeous. So many nations opening up for the first time.)

    Have you ever written out your memories of your travels, Buck? I especially love reading about the personalities and culture of folks from other places. I’d like to hear more about those drinking bouts you had to endure in Russia, for instance!

    As far as my own “nomen,” I’m going to make it easier for you, Buck. Since Sam isn’t my real name, I’ll go by my family nickname of Bec from now on. How’s that? (That’ll distinguish me from the other Becky that I know posts here as well.)

    Thanks for the chat! Oh, hi Laurie! I've visited all of the states west of the Mississppi, some of Mexico and some of Canada. I'm really curious about other cultures, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IF I get the Cairo gig you definately have a standing invitation. I tried contacting my detailer today, but he's out on leave. I'll know something Monday.
    Alisa and I would definately love to have you come out, we're planning a trip to Italy if we get stationed over seas. I'll keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie: your point about seeing the US is well taken. There are still many places in the US I've yet to go. If gas prices ever come down... {HA!}

    Bec: I like that! Thanks for solving my lil problem!

    Thanks for the link; that was a good read. It would be interesting to read a follow-up article on Putin, of more recent vintage. I've read a little bit, but not a lot, of Russian history since 1993, and was most interested in the events following the October '93 crisis, for obvious reasons. Putin scares me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is his KGB past and the fact he's brought a lot of his old buddies with him into the government. That, and the apparent ease with which he does business with old-line Communists. Aside: I witnessed a couple of communist rallies while in Moscow and was surprised at the number of folks who turned out...even though they appeared to be mostly old-age pensioners. Still, there were more than a few young faces in the crowd. Scary.

    You asked if a few years prior to '93 I'd have thought I'd be witnessing what I saw. The answer, of course, is "no." I'm sure you can understand the "Alice in Wonderland" type of feelings I had, what with me spending 22 years of my life in the Air Force. Example: On the first night I was in Moscow a friend and I took a short stroll from our hotel over to Red Square to watch the changing of the guard at Lenin's Tomb. Impressive. Eerie. When the ceremony was over, I turned to my buddy and asked "How does it feel, standing here knowing that, somewhere in North Dakota, there's a missle sitting in a silo with at least three MIRVs with our exact coordinates programmed into them?" He looked at me and said "Strange, isn't it?" Understatement of the day...

    Congrats on the graduation of your oldest! My former in-laws followed the same sort of travel plan, i.e., wait until the kids graduate and then GO. And go they did. You have a lot to look forward to!

    To answer your other question, Bec, I haven't written anything other than blog posts about my travels. There's some travel narrative in the many letters I wrote TSMP while on the road during my USAF days, but that's about it. I should have kept a journal, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, glad to oblige!
    Regarding Putin – he makes me nervous, too. He’s the perfect guy for Russia (as far as most Russians are concerned). Just the right amount of dignified authoritarianism mixed with that pensive manliness they find reassuring. You’re right; he does know how to do business with the old guard. Maybe that’s what they need for a smoother transition into the Free Market world, but like I say, I’m keeping my eye on him. There’s still a lot of the old KGB in him and it will be easy for him to slide backwards. (In some ways, it’s thought he already has) I guess history will judge.

    So you saw some of those old folks protesting? The pensioners? I felt sort of sorry for them at the time. They had towed the line all their lives thinking they would be able to live out their old age in some kind of minimal comfort, but at one swoop they were at the mercy of the free market system which gave no guarantee that their monthly cash payments would cover the skyrocketing costs of food and housing. Kind of a shock to them. (Maybe some of the young ones were their grandkids?) That was a pretty severe action taken by Putin, but he survived it all right. Here’s some of the situation last I heard:
    http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/9033-9.cfm
    Sounds like they're still having a rough time.

    Say, did any of you see Putin during Paul McCartney’s concert in Red Square? His demeanor was fascinating to watch as he modestly “shushed” the audience while “slipping” into his seat.
    Had you heard that many people think it was actually the Beatles who helped bring down the Soviet Union? Here are a couple of links that are fun to read. See what you think. (The second one is a true story from the perspective of a Soviet sailor during shore leave)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/thebeatles/story/0,,1014280,00.html
    http://beatles.ncf.ca/russian.html
    Well, enough of Russian politics!
    I’ve been staying away from posting on U.S. politics lately. I feel like I’m undergoing a transformation of some kind, which is why I think I’m hanging out over here once in awhile.
    Lately, Maha’s been posting on how stupid the 9/11 conspiracy theories are and I’ve been chiming in with encouragement. (She saw the tragedy in person) Lots of nuts keep swooping in to protest her firm stand on this and many of her “regulars” haven’t liked it either. Also, we’ve been discussing religion and spirituality and that’s opened up some interesting, rather painful, discussions. Why we do this to ourselves, I don’t know. It’s that "questing" some of us (including me) feel compelled to do, I guess.

    Over here, you seem sedate (and polite) by comparison and I wonder if that old adage of refraining from discussing politics and religion isn't perhaps the wisest course after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Over here, you seem sedate (and polite) by comparison and I wonder if that old adage of refraining from discussing politics and religion isn't perhaps the wisest course after all."

    Discussing is much different than arguing, or trying to sway another's opinion, or forcing one's beliefs on someone else, or being upset that other opinions exist. I think people who have respect for one another can discuss these things.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.