Friday, May 12, 2006

Back Up, Sorta

‘Net connection update: I tried to post a couple of times yesterday evening but couldn’t. On those few occasions when my connection was “live,” I timed out before I could connect to Blogger. This is the strangest problem I’ve had in recent memory, and may be simply an unscheduled guest appearance of The Crawl. Whatever it is, I hope it stops post-haste. Things appear to be back to normal this morning. I have my fingers crossed.
News You Can Use, or, I Scan memeorandum So You Don’t Have To:
Good news from Iraq. Bill Crawford at All Things Conservative summarizes the Brookings Institution’s periodic Iraq Index. As is the case with a lot of the stuff I link, the comments are just as interesting as the main post. (Hat tip: Instapundit)
Most Americans support the NSA surveillance program, a WaPo/ABC News poll reveals:
The new survey found that 63 percent of Americans said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to investigate terrorism, including 44 percent who strongly endorsed the effort. Another 35 percent said the program was unacceptable, which included 24 percent who strongly objected to it.
This little item follows close on the heels of yesterday’s front page story in USA Today about the “massive database” of Americans’ phone numbers. The Bull Moose has some rational comment on that story…and for those of you who prefer irrational comment, there’s always Georgia10. And speaking of “irrational”…sheesh. And to think I used to give those guys money. (Now you know another of my deep, dark secrets.)
When Extremism Becomes the Norma take-down of Jack Cafferty (and the fringe-left), one of those guys I love to hate. “Hate,” is, of course, wildly hyperbolic. I don’t actually hate Cafferty, I just think he’s an idiot. Sorta like what the hard-left thinks of O’Reilly.
Believe None of What You Hear, Half of What You Read Department: Poll: 2004 Election Was Stolen. Interesting only for the supposed demographics of “Faux” News viewers. And the fact that 70% of CNN viewers believe the 2004 election was stolen. The operational reality of Too Much Cafferty, IMHO.
Hockey Update: Two good games last night. Ottawa survives to fight another day. Remember: Two out of 142. Ottawa is only postponing the inevitable. Speaking of inevitable: The Hated Avalanche are out. Anaheim does something to Colorado that’s never been done: a sweep. First time the Avs have been swept in 26 playoff series. Couldn’t happen to a nicer club.
And, in passing, the Anaheim-Colorado game illustrates an interesting difference in coaching strategies. Anaheim was up, 2-1, going into the third period last night. Unlike San Jose the previous evening, Anaheim continued to press Colorado and scored another goal in the third period to go up 3-1, eventually scoring an empty-netter and winning, 4-1. San Jose, on the other hand, was up on Edmonton 2-1 going into the third period Wednesday night. The Sharks fell back into a neutral zone clogging variation of the trap and essentially played a totally defensive game. Bad decision. A very bad decision against a hard-skating, extremely fast team like Edmonton. Edmonton tied the game late in the third period and went on to win in triple overtime. I may have to revise my prediction for the Sharks-Oilers series. The San Jose coaching staff made a bone-head decision Wednesday evening, and that decision cost them the game and a 3-0 lead in the series. Edmonton deserved to win Wednesday’s game, and regardless of the fact they sent my Red Wings to the golf course, I have to admire Edmonton’s heart, determination, and work ethic. This could be a long series, and Edmonton just might win it. They will win the series if San Jose makes any more stupid coaching decisions.

3 comments:

  1. "This little item follows close on the heels of yesterday’s front page story in USA Today about the “massive database” of Americans’ phone numbers."

    Massive database, huh? Hmmm, seems I've heard of that before... Oh, yeah, switchboard.com and anywho.com! I don't really understand the flap. You know there are databases of phone numbers, even unpublished ones. Do you really mean to tell me that people are that naive to think they can't be located if necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, Laurie. But it's the GOVERNMENT! Those fascists!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah, the gubbermint. They had that commercial with the cute twins selling gum.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.