Saturday, April 01, 2006

Weekend Update, Part One

I’ve been a busy guy this morning. In light of the epiphany I had, what with being in agreement with Nancy and Teddy on immigration reform, I’ve just now completed the registration process at MoveOn.org, PeTA, and CodePink. I’ve also registered at dKos and created a diary there, too. I plan to spend the rest of my days atoning for my previously held fascist, racist, Third-World Exploiter/Oppressor, Gaia-Raping Corporate Apologist, Militarist, ReichNut world view (did I forget anything?) by working tirelessly to advance the agenda of The Reality Based Community. There’s just SO much to be done! (April Fool!)

Yesterday was not a good day at El Casa Móvil de Pennington. I was awakened at oh-dark-thirty by what I will call (euphemistically, of course) “severe gastric distress.” And it was all down hill from there. Pepto Bismol (O! that wondrous pink fluid!) helped, but didn’t completely cure the problem. I spent the greatest part of the day on the couch drifting in and out of sleep. The rest of the day was spent traipsing back and forth to the “little room.” Needless to say, I didn’t feel like doing much of anything, including blogging. I did manage a reply or two to comments…but that was it. Things seem to be better this morning. I’m not quite sure what this was, but I may have (food) poisoned myself; I’ve done that before. It looks like I’m still in dire need of adult supervision.

I’m still in something like a state of shock about being in agreement with Pelosi/Kennedy. The last time something like this happened was in 1979 or 1980…when I became a libertarian/conservative. There were critical differences between then and now, though. I gradually became disillusioned about things my fellow liberals said and did in the way-back. I began to take a very critical look at the culture of The Perpetually Offended, and as a result I paid more attention to The Opposition (read that: Republicans). This is not the case today. I know what The Opposition thinks and believes, and I pay quite a bit of attention to their rants and raves…more than I should, probably. My agreement with the liberals on immigration is an isolated event…there are very few other issues where we’re remotely close. But there are some.

I’m not alone. A Time Magazine poll released yesterday claims 79% of Americans favor a guest worker program. OK, it’s Time. Take this with a large grain of salt. The poll also indicates a wide majority of Americans favor strict enforcement of current laws and much tighter border security. Or, in a nutshell, most Americans agree with Dubya on this one.

Iowahawk scoops the MSM! Exclusive transcript of Nancy and Harry discussing Operation Steel Gazelle, the Dem’s new! tough! innovative! national security plan. Excerpt:

NANCY: Sounds, smart! But what about toughness?

HARRY: Don't worry Nancy - before we redeploy the soldiers out of Iraq, we will pass a tough new assault weapons ban in Iraq to keep these dangerous weapons out of the hands of civil war gangs. We will back it up with a roadside bomb amnesty program, and after-madrassa programs for at-risk insurgent youths.

NANCY: Sounds almost too, good to be, true. But there be must a catch!

HARRY: No Nancy, it's all there in black and white, on slide 2 of our plan. The third phase our plan is to double the number of American Special Forces. It will be important that we have enough of these elite tough fighting units in case Osama bin Laden escapes through a secret tunnel and starts his terrorism again, or if his case dismissed on appeal.

NANCY: That's what I call future thinking tough! But is it smart also?

HARRY: We've got that covered too, Nancy. We will work to ensure that these expanded super soldier teams look like America, with plenty of elite security opportunities for all -- regardless of race, gender, age, or GLBT orientation. And, in keeping with the Americans with Disabilities Act, all Special Forces training facilities under our plan will have accessibility ramps by 2008. We have already begun to recruit candidates from the ranks of TSA's elite airport security teams!

And you know there’s more. Go see!

3 comments:

  1. Your April Fools thing about caused me heart trouble ;) Sorry you weren't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that, Laurie! ;-)

    Interesting factoid: I've been called all those names at one point or another, except for "Gaia-raping." But I have been accused of being "anti-environment." Can you imagine anyone being anti-environment? Who hates trees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sellers of concrete maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.