Thursday, March 02, 2006

Much Ado About Not Much (Thursday)

My Bloggin’ Buddy “S” has started up a new, very USAF-friendly blog called Fix4RSO. "S" gets and posts some of the best military photos out there and his commentary is spot-on. Drop on by and give him a shout-out!

Another good post I noticed while we were makin’ the rounds this morning: BB has a first-person account about yesterday’s wild fires in Oklahoma. High winds and high-temps, coupled with persistent drought, makes for some serious “hold your breath, cross your fingers, and pray” moments. I see northern Texas and Oklahoma may get some rain today. Let’s hope, coz they sure do need it.

Had a real “made me smile” moment this morning when Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” came on the radio. There’s not another song ever sung that even comes close to the seductive quality of this tune. I count myself among those thousands (millions?) of young (teen-aged or otherwise) testosterone-poisoned young males who built altars to Marvin when he released this song. While Marvin may not have been singularly-responsible for the success of many of my mid-seventies romantic encounters, he sure as Hell helped. Too early to tell, but this just might be today’s Song of the Day. (Oh, and by the way: all references to “radio” mean Radio Paradise, unless otherwise noted)

And speaking of RP…I’m just about ready to jump and buy the first two or three albums based on “new horizons” RP has given me over the past month or so. High on the candidate list at the moment are Over the Rhine’sOhio” and an album (dunno which one, yet) by Sonny Landreth. Afro Celt Sound System is right up there, too. I’ve yet to hear a bad tune on RP by any of these three artists, and that’s a GOOD sign.

I may have figured out why my motivation’s been lacking these past two days or so. I’ve been “off my meds,” so to speak. While I’m not taking any serious meds, I DO take an Omega-3 supplement in the form of flax seed oil. Or, I try and remember to take it. I think it’s been nearly a week since I took my last dose, rectified this morning. That might be the answer…sure hope so!

Just Sayin’ Department: I may be the poster-child for what happens to guys who lack structure in their lives. This, of course, amplifies on the comment immediately above. Life just seemed more orderly (albeit frantic) when I was working. And on that proverbial other hand, life was certainly more ordered while I was in my last live-in relationship. One assumes responsibilities to the “other” when you’re involved, and that, in turn, adds structure. I’m slowly coming around to the conclusion I may need to get back “in the market.” Whoo-Boy, but there’s a scary thought. My freedom! My freedom! Definitely prized over and above structure… What’s a geezer to do?

The coffee’s nearly finished and that over-stuffed laundry bag demands to be emptied. Think I’ll go do something productive…

5 comments:

  1. Hey Buck, I was in a blues band for years, along with my ex. One of my favorites was by Gary Moore called,
    "Still Got the Blues." Check it out will ya. Have a great nite and don't stay up too late, you nocturnal devil you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so, I often lean towards to the guys with colors for last names:

    Al Green
    Barry White

    But, Marvin hits the notes too ... and I didn't pick those two 'cause everyone else does ...

    Now, don't go goin' squirrelly on me Buck! I'm expecting a tour of the AFB to get my JP4 fix!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless of course you find an equally unstructured woman who doesn't want to lose her freedom, then you're both out of luck... Or maybe you'd find that the areas you are unstructured in would be different and would balance out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie: I hear you. My whole point was that thing about men reverting back to their primal state without the civilizing influence of women. (I actually believe that, believe it or don't.) All of us are structured or unstructured to a certain extent, males just seem to go all to Hell without women around. It's not healthy. Fun, but not healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Well in my experience, the only thing keeping some women together when they go through a breakup is often the presence of kids. And in a few cases I know of, even that didn't help.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.