Saturday, March 25, 2006

Metaphysics

Apropos of nothing, as is my wont, of late. Quite some time ago I read Dan Jenkins’ novel “Baja Oklahoma,” which was a good tale…funny, creative and full of little folk gems. One of those gems impressed me SO much I took the trouble to transcribe the list and pin it to the wall above my desk. This, of course, was in the way-way-back. But…it’s a very relevant piece of work. Here, for your illumination/edification, are Dan Jenkins’ “Ten Stages of Drunkenness:”

1. Witty and Charming
2. Rich and Powerful
3. Benevolent
4. Clairvoyant
5. Fuck Dinner
6. Patriotic
7. Crank up the Enola Gay
8. Witty and Charming, Part II
9. Invisible
10. Bulletproof

I don’t believe I’ve ever made it to “Bulletproof.” Evidence of that fact is: I’m still alive. I have, however, been “Witty and Charming, Part II” on a few occasions and “Invisible” once or twice. The most common state I arrived at was Number Four and perhaps Five…achieved nearly every Friday night whilst I was living in SFO. Ah, nostalgia!

I do not believe in any of the alternative metaphysical disciplines, such as tarot, the I Ching, any form of astrology, etc. That said, I’ve been known to check my horoscope occasionally back in the day when I still subscribed to a newspaper. And I’ll occasionally google something of a metaphysical nature, more out of curiosity than anything else. Today I googled “numerology” and came up with some pretty interesting stuff. There are multiple “cycles” in a life, if one believes in this sort of thing. You need to know your “Life Path,” which is calculated based on your birth day. My life path is 3, and my fourth and final pinnacle cycle began at age 51. Here are the descriptions of my "Period" cycles:

Your First Period Cycle is 3:

You were born in March.
A time of heightened self expression and much social support. Any ability you possess in the arts, especially in writing, acting, or dance, will be brought to new heights and meet with much reward. You are socially active as never before. You will appear to others as charming, attractive, even charismatic. Be careful not to waste your energies on too many superficial projects or relationships, however. The time requires discipline and focus in order to make the most of the great upward energy that is filling your life.

Your Second Period Cycle is 8:

You were born on the 8th or 26th day of the month.
You are under an extremely benevolent period for work, career, and financial reward. The key is hard work and the willingness to rededicate yourself after setbacks or difficulties. You will have greatly enhanced abilities as a manager, organizer, and financial planner. You have a gift for seeing the broad picture and carrying out bold plans. You can gain financial freedom during this period. Business and career activities go well, but require much attention and commitment. You are being pushed to take control of your career or enterprise and bring it to new heights. It is a time when power falls to you, but must be used wisely and with purpose.

Your Third Period Cycle is 1:

You were born in one of the following years:
1918 - 1927 - 1936 - 1945 - 1954 - 1963 - 1972 - 1981 - 1990 - 1999

This a period of much intensity. It requires fortitude, courage, and flexibility. You will be forced to use every one of your talents in order to achieve your own personal individuality and independence. This is a period of integration and a focusing on your life's dream. Your grip on your direction will be tested, but somehow the resources are available to overcome any obstacle and emerge from this time all the stronger. It is a time requiring independence, resilience, and strength, but these characteristics become integral part of your personality. This cycle marks a time of progress.

And then there are “Pinnacle Cycles.” According to the calculations I made, and the Life Path number I arrived at, my fourth and final Pinnacle Cycle began at age 51. The cycles are grouped like this: Your Life Path is 3 (Cycle 1) age 0 - 33 (2) age 33 - 42 (3) age 42 - 51 (4 – last) age 51 >† And here’s what I got for my fourth Pinnacle Cycle:

This is a Pinnacle of hard work and many rewards. You have the opportunity to build a foundation that will last. Your abilities as an organizer, manager, or simply the rock of any institution are greatly increased. You are dependable and reliable. Your ability to fulfill responsibilities is likewise enhanced.

As a result of your industry and perseverance, success is well within your reach. It is a step-by-step process in which you build something by small bricks laid one after another.
You will find yourself caring for others in a very material way. Family and in-laws can be burdensome, since you are seen as the cornerstone of the foundation.

Your life is preoccupied with details and responsibilities that must be taken care of. You have set in motion projects that are your children, demanding your constant attention. While there are many rewards, there are also many frustrations. Your sense of your own limits and the consuming nature of details may at times seem overwhelming.

You must remember that things that last require slow growth. You may mistakenly believe that your progress should be faster, or happen with greater ease.
The need for efficiency, orderliness, and methodical systems limit your creativity.
Your challenge is to be flexible and adaptable. Learn to play more and allow yourself to be more spontaneous.

Children born under this Pinnacle will tend to be serious and affected by the financial limitations of their parents. The child may feel the need to leave home early and start a family of his own. He or she must be encouraged to be more farsighted and flexible. The child should avoid jumping into the harsh realities of life too soon.

I don’t know what to make of all of this. It’s interesting, I suppose, and like most of the metaphysical things I’ve explored in a very superficial way, some things are true, and some are not. I think these things are structured in a purposely vague way; you construct “truth” based upon a set of generalities that could apply to nearly anyone. Yet all these methods bill themselves as being very specific. Go figure…

You can work up your own Numerology reading here.

1 comment:

  1. "I think these things are structured in a purposely vague way; you construct “truth” based upon a set of generalities that could apply to nearly anyone."

    I agree with this statement. You can read into it whatever you want, and at some points think 'that's true'. I think we are all born unique, and then our experiences and responses shape who we become. Our personality isn't determined by numbers or signs.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.