Thursday, January 19, 2006

Out and About Today

Finally got that haircut. I'm pretty sure I've written about my local barber shop before, so stop me if you've heard this. The place I go is a real, down-home, traditional barber shop, complete with a great selection of men's magazines, like Field and Stream, Popular Science, and so on. You need the magazines, too, because you're gonna be in the shop for a while. All the barbers take their sweet time cutting hair, and that's a positive comment. Case in point: I walked in to the shop at 1:30 and walked out at 2:45. I was first in line. There's lots of banter going on all the time, and the guy that cuts my hair, Jay, likes to talk politics with me. We have a shared political point of view.

Today Jay asked: "Well, ya think we're gonna get into it with Eye-Ran?" And we were off to the races. General consensus in the shop: the sooner the better. With the exception of the university, Portales is pretty much Red-State. The U is a big exception, however. No one from ENMU in the barber shop today...

I also met a retired AF fighter pilot in the shop today. We discovered we had quite a few duty stations in common, most which were/are in Asia. We swapped a couple of war stories and he made me think of an incident that may make the cut for the next installment of "Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine." That remains to be seen, however.

Wrapped up the day with a cruise out to the base to do my monthly "big shopping" run to the commissary. My timing was perfect...four F-16s were taking off upon my arrival at the base, and there's not a lot in life that's more thrilling to watch than high-performance fighters taking off. My entry point into the base is just beyond the end of the runway; you take the base perimeter road from the gate around the end of the runway to the main part of the base. Thus: those jets took off right over my head. And it was a nice day; my top was down. O, the noise! I love jet noise!

All in all, not a bad day...

2 comments:

  1. Morning Buck, I got my espresso with one equal and a little french vanilla creamer in a go cup and thought I'd venture on down to N.M. and have coffee with you. Nice haircut or did you get your ears lowered? I know that feeling with the F16's and such as I lived at Quantico and there flight path was over my house. They would swoop and roll and then the Huey's would be out there. Somehow I always enjoyed it. By the way thanks for stopping by last nite. That was a touchy interview with a lot at stake, a lot. So, I really, really appreciate the kind interjection.Especially, from an intelligent good-lookin' feller as yourself.Have a good day Buck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my plain ol'coffee with real cream - morning ritual while I read through my favorite blogs on the slowest computer in the world.

    My daughter is a jet fanatic. Since we live near Sheppard AFB, she constantly tells me what kind of training jets are flying over us. She loves to go out to Sheppard when they have their open house days. Right now she is padding around in her airplane PJs (you can wear airplane PJs when you have the body of a 15 year-old).

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.