Wednesday, December 21, 2005

That Other Big Story

Judge Rules Against 'Intelligent Design'. Page One news in most of the country, but not here at El Casa Pennington. I don't have (much of) an opinion on this issue, to me it's Much Ado About Not Much (apologies, Willy).

There are those who would say: "But, Buck! What about separation of Church and State? 'Intelligent Design' is a blatant attempt to force fundamentalist values down our throats!" Chill out, is my reply. As I understand the issue, the ID folks are simply asking for equal time, an acknowledgement that there are theories other than Darwinist Evolution that answer the "how did we get here?" question. If you see this as a fundamentalist foot-in-the-door ploy on the way to establishing a Christian madrassa system, I'd say that's a personal problem. I'm not a religious freak, but on the other hand, I'm no screaming secular humanist, either.

I wouldn't have issues with my child being told there are alternate theories about the origins of life. I would have issues if he were told there are absolutes...what would amount to a "my way or the highway" type of education. But then again, I also believe that parents should bear the largest part of the burden for their child's education, NOT the school system.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.