Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Signs of the Impending Apocalypse, Automotive Division

Toyota to build engine plant in MICHIGAN?

As the article notes, what was once unthinkable is not only acceptable, it’s desirable. My, how times change.

Let's say Toyota builds the plant in Michigan. I wonder if they’ll have a separate parking lot for workers who drive domestic cars? When I lived and worked in Detroit and had to visit a GM facility (I worked for a GM subsidiary back in those days) I always had to either (a) share a ride with a buddy who drove a Big Three vehicle or (b) check out a pool car. I wasn’t about to drive my German car to a GM plant…I really didn’t want it keyed. And I didn’t want to have to park my car a half-mile from where I was going, either. The UAW didn’t allow furrin cars to inter-mingle with the domestic variety – there was a separate parking lot for non-domestic cars. I doubt that’s changed.

Related: Toyota, With 2006 Forecast, Challenges for Top Car Maker GM has been Number One since 1932. That may change, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.