Thursday, August 07, 2014

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

Warren, with one of the VERY few prescient rock 'n' roll songs known to me.


In walked the village idiot and his face was all aglow
He's been up all night listening to Mohammed's Radio


[...]

I heard the General whisper to his aide-de-camp
"Be watchful for Mohammed's lamp"

Don't it make you want to rock and roll
All night long 

Mohammed's Radio 
Mr. Zevon released this tune in 1976 as a cut on his eponymous album.  The lyrics quoted above are truly prescient, even granted we have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight these days.  Has there ever been another song in rock 'n' roll's history that predicted the future?  I think not.

Wait.

There's this from Charlie Daniels...


'Cause I ain't askin' nobody for nothin'
If I can't get it on my own
If you don't like the way I'm livin'
You just leave this long haired country boy alone
That tune's prescient because it nailed the Libertarian point o' view long, long before (in 1974 or 1976, depending on your POV) it became fashionable to do so.  Just for the record: we were there with Mr. Daniels during that time frame and that's us: "Just slightly ahead o' our time."  Always and ever.

4 comments:

  1. "'Cause I ain't askin' nobody for nothin'
    If I can't get it on my own
    If you don't like the way I'm livin'
    You just leave this long haired country boy alone"
    When I used to have long hair...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you used to have HAIR, period. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Always reminded me of the response to advice offered For Your Own Good from a Brit buddy of mine...

    (In posh accent) "I say, do go fuck yourself."

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.