Monday, April 15, 2013

Why, Yes... Yes, I Have

There was this in today's junk e-mail love note from NatGeo:
Have you ever watched the geysers erupt in Yellowstone or gazed in awe at the sweeping vistas of Arches National Park? Even if you’ve never visited these landmarks, chances are you’ve been to one of the nearly 400 parks that are cared for by the National Park Service. 
Why, yes...








Yes, I have and thanks for asking.  All of the above were taken 13 years ago at a place that should be obvious (and with a first-generation digital camera with all of ONE megapixel!).  These next pics?  The place isn't so obvious (and the photos were taken with better equipment)...







The above are from Arches National Park in Utah (except for the one of YrHmblScrb, which was taken in Poudre Canyon, CO, on that same trip) back in 2007.  Riding the bike(s)... different ones at different times... through both Yellowstone and Arches were remarkable adventures.  I only wish I'd gone to Yellowstone later in the year... coz it was still VERY cold in May.  It got cold on that road trip to Arches (among other places)... come to think on it.  VERY cold.

6 comments:

  1. I have not been to very many national parks other than Kit Carson :) Toby's idea of a vacation is to ride bicycles and camp out. Hence, we are not going on any vacations in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if ya DO go somewhere like Yellowstone... I'd advise goin' in July or August. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Even in August Yellowstone can have it's moments.
    GS and I were there in 2010 and found ourselves in need of warmer clothing than we had.
    Thank goodness for sweatshirts in the souvenir shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SFO is the same as Yellowstone... in that I have a couple o' souvenir-shop sweatshirts in my wardrobe, bought on a summer's evening right after I moved to SFO. I learned pretty quickly (after my second impromptu sweatshirt buy) that you NEVER leave the house in the morning without a jacket, no matter how lovely the weather might seem.

      Delete
  3. Yellowstone / Grand Teton area is in my favorite places ever list. One year after the great fires had swept through we camped beside a guy who'd brought his son (about 8-10 years) up from Los Angeles, the little guy had never been outside of the city and was quite happy to show us the few trout he'd caught in the nearby river with his dad. I looked over every now and again and the little guy and his dad both had the same smile that just wouldn't quit. Good stuff, I hope they returned at some point.

    Thanks Buck ... I needed to see your photos and remember those times after a day like today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, marc. Nice story, too. One of the neat things about my short life on the road in an RV was the people I met. I never had a bad experience at an RV park.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.