Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Salmagundi

In which we break out the thesaurus in search of alternatives to "potpourri," which is well and truly over-used in these parts.  Salmagundi is new to me, defined as...
1. A salad of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, and onions, often arranged in rows on lettuce and served with vinegar and oil.
2. A mixture or assortment; a potpourri.
We're obviously using Number Two here... even though Firefox doesn't think the word is spelled quite right.  Then again, Firefox doesn't like a lot of words I use. 

―:☺:―

We're feeling kinda snake bit of late.  Last week I went to change out one of the light bulbs in the microwave and the glass envelope twisted out of its base, coming out of the nuker while said base remained firmly ensconced therein.  I stood on my head for about ten minutes doing most everything I knew to get the damned light bulb base out of the nuker... all to no avail.  So I did what any good renter would do, which is to say I tossed the problem into the landlord's lap.  The next day it was fixed.

This isn't the first problem I've had with the microwave.  Previously:
And then there's this, speakin' o' inflation... a friendly serviceman from our local appliance store just left the premises o' El Casa Inmóvil de Pennington.  He was here to replace... unsuccessfully... the handle on my microwave, which broke off in my hot lil hand as I went to open the door of said nuker last week.  Well, it only broke at the top mount and still remains attached to the door, which is a good thang... mainly coz I'd starve if the nuker went tits-up.  But the serviceman brought the wrong part and the handle that was in bench stock ain't the right one, so it's back to the drawing board for to order a new handle... further repairs to be rescheduled in the near future, one hopes.

But my point is this: the wrong handle had "57.21" marked on the bag and I asked... incredulously... is that the price or the part number for that lil piece o' plastic?  "Price," sez he.  What's worse is the new, improved handle costs 85 Yankee Dollars.  I'm glad this is a warranty repair, otherwise I'd feel a serious need for flowers and chocolates after this experience, if not a lil kiss.
Well now.  One wonders how much a handle for a Frigidaire refrigerator is gonna cost, because THAT'S the latest thing to break... on Sunday-past... in egg-zactly the same manner as the handle on the nuker (see the pic, right).  All the appliances in this apartment... nuker, fridge, stove, and dishwasher... are made by Frigidaire and so far two of the handles have snapped off.  All that's left to break are the handles on the freezer and the oven, as the dishwasher doesn't have one.  I've alerted the property management company...

The foregoing is but one reason why it's better to rent than own at this stage in life.  For me, anyhoo.

―:☺:―

I had the strangest dream last night, wherein I got out of bed and went into the living room to find someone had broken in and stolen everything off my walls, including some stuff that wasn't there... but stuff that USED to adorn my walls in Former Happy Days.  Weirder still was the fact The Second Mrs. Pennington was standing in the living room, crying over lost art.  TSMP rarely visits me in dreams, yet there she was, bemoaning the fact that "we" had been burgled.  "We?" sez I, in the dream...  At which point in time we woke up, thoroughly baffled and confused.  Ah well, it was time to get up, anyhoo.

―:☺:―

Blog-Bud Lou has a post up today about the murder rate in Chicago and the city's response, which would be to further tighten their already restrictive firearms laws.  I dropped a link to this video in comments at her place...



... sayin' that Milwaukee and Chicago ain't that far apart, geographically, but the cities are WORLDS apart when it comes to reality. 

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ex has been known to visit my dreams on occasion

    I will say no more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last tells me all I need to know. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever use the term again, unless it's in an Italian restaurant.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link. I replied back on my comments. I just found it interesting that the officer in the video said that due to layoffs and furloughs, the police could protect everyone - so take a class and arm yourselves (good idea). It reminded me of what Hillary Clinton said in her recent testimony on the Hill - sorry due to budget cuts we could not protect our embassy. So why don't the liberals see the connection - instead of more gun laws, the public needs to arm themselves, because they will not be getting much help from the small police forces or government.

    As to the dream - funny how the mind works. It took me years of marriage before I started dreaming of Toby.

    GBN1 pulled the handle off of our fridge. Toby fixed it. He is handy like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liberals don't see much of anything, except for what they WANT to see.

      I hardly ever remember my dreams... and as I said in the post, TSMP rarely has part in them.

      I'm anything BUT handy.

      Delete
  6. I think maybe you were bitten by a radioactive spider and you have yet to realize that you have the strength of a couple hundred normal men, thus the snapped handles. Be very careful when flushing the john.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dream is interesting and probably loaded with hidden meaning. I especially like the "We...?" comment from you. Very telling...in a very good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was more to our exchange in the dream and it had to do with the "stuff that wasn't there" on my walls... she read off a litany of art she either took with her (a few pieces) or that I sold. I omitted that part for brevity's sake. But yeah, I wasn't too happy with her in that dream.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.