Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tonight's ADWH Soundtrack

Divin' deep into the archives for some serious drinkin' music...



This wasn't the tune I was lookin' for*, but it'll do.  I remain impressed with the Tube O' You, given that the Siegal-Schwall Band wasn't exactly mainstream... outside o' Chicago.  I don't remember how I came upon them, but I know it had to be courtesy o' one o' my buds back in those lost days o' the '70s.  Be that as it may, I bought every one o' their albums I could get my hands on back in the day and committed several of those albums to tape before I shipped the vinyl off to SN2 during the Great Divorce Debacle o' 1999.  It was one o' those cassettes we dragged out for tonight's soundtrack, and we're REALLY glad we did.

*Well, DAMN!  Here it is!



Oh, HELL Yes!  It's a real pity that none of Siegal-Schwall's lyrics are available on the 'net... coz the lyrics are just amazin'.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks, Buck. I'm a fairly good blues affectionado and I hadn't heard of that band. Good stuff. BTW, speaking of the "blues harp" did I ever tell you that the band we had for my fraternity spring formal my freshman year (Spring, '63, "The Skid Reaux Ball") was none other than the legendary harmonica-player Slim Harpo and his band? What a night! Held it at the American Legin Hall in downtown B.R. Great "formal" music, n'cest-ce pas? lol

    (PS: I've got a couple of his albums on English vinyl (the good thick stuff) that I picked up in the UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...did I ever tell you ...

      Yup, at least once. But I know you read and comment at a lot o' blogs so I understand. That, and you're OLD. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Well, I kinda thought I had mentioned it previously but me memory banks were low on juice, so wasn't sure..lol

      Delete
  2. PPS: Funny about musical "ecology." Most of the best blues-harp players in Louisiana come from a rural tradition from Baton Rouge west to Lafayette and beyond. New Orleans, by contrast, has almost NO tradition of producing blues harmonica players of any note..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N'Awlins sure has produced some greats where the other instruments are concerned, though... especially in jazz. But... about the harp... have ya seen this site?

      Delete
    2. Hey, thanks for the link! I see Paul Butterfields' pic is featured on the main paige. Being stationed in the UK when he was at the height of his popularity I've got several albums by the Butterfield Blues Band. Not a lot of people in the US have ever heard of him though, 'cept for our generation and really serious blues affectionados amongst the "youngster" set..

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it's a generational thang, metinks. I have some Butterfield in my collection, as well.

      Delete
  3. I love YouTube. It's probably the best thing about the ol' intertubes (aside from making the acquaintance of folks such as yourself.) I've seriously spent hours at a time cruising through it and finding great live performances by old bands nobody remembers but whom I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, Jim. It's easy to get started down that bunny hole when you go looking for just ONE tune.

      Delete
  4. I don't usually search the Tube O You very often - like I need another addiction on the internet. But I do like finding art videos. Amazing what is out there - free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Tube might be what I like BEST about these inter-tubes, after Google itself.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.