Friday, July 27, 2012

Who Do You Trust?

No, not that ol' game show (if you're of a certain age)... statistics.  Blog stats, to be specific.  Consider:


That's what Blogger sez happened here at EIP over the past month.  Here's what SiteMeter sez:


There are some serious disconnects here.  Note that Blogger sez I received over 600 page views on 7/24 and SM sez I got 473.  I've never received 600 or more page views in a single day according to SM, ever.  (There are more daily disconnects, too... just look at the delta between the two systems for today and yesterday.)  What's even more curious is Blogger Stats claims I got 13,543 page views last month, as opposed to SM's count of 11,079.  And then... total lifetime page views according to Blogger: 287,201.  What does SM say about my lifetime page views?  433,038.  That's one helluva difference and is counter-intuitive, based on Blogger Stats' monthly and daily counts over the past few months.

I'm SO confused.  Not that it really matters, but we do tend to look at this stuff from time to time... just for grins and giggles.

6 comments:

  1. If people are running a script-blocker, they don't show up on sitemeter. That's all I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Inno. I didn't know that.

      Delete
  2. There's usually a pretty big difference between my stats on sitemeter and those provided by wordpress. 28 page views to 21, respectively, today. It's all in where people come from and what they are running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I ain't the only one experiencing this phenomenon. That said... you deserve ten times the traffic you're getting, Andy. Or more.

      Delete
  3. Buck, since you got me to try SiteMeter versus relying on Blogger, I'm seeing similar disconnects over my small amount of data. I just go with the numbers that make me feel good. Like you said, who really cares anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started looking at Blogger stats recently... when I saw other folks I read mention them. The delta between the two systems surprises me.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.