Thursday, July 26, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack... Owning the Gray

The Grateful Dead...

The shoe on the hand that fits, there's really nothin' much to it
Whistle through your teeth and spit, 'cause it's all right
Oh well a touch of grey, kinda suits you anyway,
That is all I had to say, if it's all right
I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive. 
Heh.  I bought this album and really liked the song when the album first came out these 25 years ago.  That was about the time when those first touches of gray began to appear and they most certainly "kinda suits me, anyway."  That was then... this is now, when we're ALL gray.

So... fast forward to yesterday when we made our second visit to the lovely Renee, exactly two months to the day since our first visit.  I still love the girl dearly, mainly coz she sez all the right things, at exactly the right time.  Case in point:
She:  I can't get over how beautiful your hair is... it's so thick and so healthy!
Me:  Yeah, in places.
The "in places" bit is in reference to my widow's peak, which is getting quite thin, of late.  (Interesting term, that.)  But we digress, and we shall digress further.  My quarterly visits to the barber shop will likely devolve into bi-monthly or even monthly visits in future, mainly coz Renee cuts my hair like I want it to be cut... which is to say longish.  We did quarterly visits to our barber in the past, coz it took at least that long for our hair to grow out after past barbering butchering sessions.  No more, however.  This most recent visit, at two months, might have erred on the two-weeks-too-long side.  But we'll see.

Digressions aside, Renee recommended I stop by Sally's and pick up a bottle of Shimmer Lights shampoo, all the better to bring out the "stunning silver" in my hair (her words... like I said: she sez all the right things at all the right times).  I demurred on the Sally's bit, mainly coz a trip to Sally's in The Big(ger) City™ would have resulted in a 40 mile side-trip on my way home.  But I WAS interested enough to go out to Amazon and check out the recommended product, which is sorta spendy.  I don't mind "owning the gray," coz I earned all of that.  OTOH, if shimmering gray silver hair is considered sexy in some demographics it MIGHT help my campaign to avoid sleeping alone for the rest o' my life.

I'm tempted.

15 comments:

  1. Did I tell you I went to grade school with Jerry Garcia (and Bobby Weir's older brother, John). At one time the Dead used some rooms across the street (and upstairs) from where I worked to practice... free concerts, except I barely knew who they were until after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Grateful Dead story, as well, said story involves a girl I knew back in 1965, who took me to my first-ever Dead concert... a "local" band she was enamored with. She was a girl who lived in Concord when I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, in the way-back. But I won;t go there... coz it's beyond the purview of a comment. But... (sigh). What could've been...

      Delete
  2. My Dad used to say: "Let it gray but let it stay." LOL.

    The Grateful Dead? They were more of a "happening" than a mere "band"..(IMHO, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my understatement for the day, Virgil. :-)

      Delete
  3. PS: Sort of like The Phish and their camp-followers, er, "adorable fan base" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to have to spell her name right though, feminine is Renée and masculine is René. The French stick an extra 'e' on their feminine grammar, and 'é' signifying an 'ay' sound eminating from les lèvres, so go ahead and lip her one for me... Now, if she doesn't like French Fry's then that's another story...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spelled her name with a double "E," Rene. The accent aigu ain't commonly available on American keyboards, although I do use it occasionally. I'll bet if I asked Renee how she spells her name she'd reply "just as you spelled it."

    I assume your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you wrote "Fry's." Right? If not... well. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tongue firmly in cheek the whole post :-) My barber told me her daughter was having her first baby, and she was going to be a grandma. I swear she looked less than 30, so I wasn't thinking and just blurted out "you don't look old enough to be a grandmother" and my best flirts seem to be when I'm not thinking. Anyway, she laughed and I could tell I probably embarrased her.

      Delete
  6. whoa, looks like i might head into the mushroom patch today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as in those psychodelic things that the Dead used. ;-) couldn´t do the in my days wearing Blues and am getting to old for "A long Strange Trip..." i better stick to the whiskey.

      Phil, MSGT, USAF, RET

      Delete
    2. Ah! Got it. I'm pretty slow on some days, Phil.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.