Friday, May 11, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

From that new Norah Jones CD I bought... a song about the wages o' sin:

Miriam
That's such a pretty name
I'm gonna say it when I make you cry
Miriam
You know you done me wrong
I'm gonna smile when you say goodbye

Now I'm not the jealous type
Never been the killing kind 
But you know I know what you did
So don't put up a fight

[...]

Miriam
You know I know you done me wrong
I'm gonna smile when you say goodbye
You know you done me wrong
I'm gonna smile when I take your life 
Mmmm...
I fuckin' LOVE that.

Update, much later that same day:  Here's a professional review of the album.  An excerpt:
Norah Jones is rich, beautiful and has one of the most gorgeous voices in popular music. None of that makes her immune to a broken heart.

Sad for her, good for us. Jones channeled her hurt into a collaboration with Brian “Danger Mouse” Burton with 12 reflections on love gone wrong.

It’s no pick-me-up, obviously. But Jones does more than wallow. She’s angry, defiant, wounded, all-too-willing to slip back into a bad thing and even entertains a murder fantasy — in short, the full range of emotions that anyone feels when a serious relationship ends.
This album might could be the sleeper in the six new additions to my collection.  I find myself listening to it a lot and indulging... once again... in murder fantasies along with Ms. Jones.  Fantasies.  Key word, that... there's no need to alert the authorities.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes.

    We gotta get you some Grand Funk Railroad, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has the most compelling voice.

    Did you know that Sweet, Sweet Connie ran for Mayor of Little Rock once upon a time in the 90s? No. Seriously -- she did. Tried to run for Congress, too, and lost 2 races for the City Board of Directors. She lost the mayoral race to the incumbent after getting a DWI, but she got a healthy number of votes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know all that. But SSC would have gotten MY vote, too. ;-)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.