Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tonight's ADWH Soundtrack

Graham Parker from Former Happy Days, i.e., 1979-80 or so...

So if you think that’s funny I’m not really laughing honey
Your love letters are confetti I ripped them up my hands were sweaty
And then those ghastly faces recur in nightmare places
Happy hour's come and gone much too short and much too long
This tune is yet another piece part of the soundtrack from my three-year sojourn in Ol' Blighty.  It's kinda funny-strange how the lyrics to any given song change meaning over the years, innit?  Apropos o' nuthin', this tune contains one of my favorite mondegreens.  Towards the end of the song when Parker sang...
It ain’t the knife in the heart that tears you apart
It’s just the thought of someone sticking it in, sticking it in
I heard "It's just Donna Summer, stickin' it in, stickin' it in..."  Ya gotta remember, that was 1979 and 1980.  Disco.  Oh, well... ya hadda be there.

Another from the same album (Squeezing Out Sparks, arguably Parker's best):

Without a doubt I gotta intercept
Must be time someone went shouted in their ear
You look all right in that cheap red dress
But every time you swish it round you make me disappear
Yes I’m aware of exactly what I’m doing
Making everything a mystery,

Don’t bother with it, it don’t bother me
Yeah, it don't bother me.  Right.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed and often enlightened by your eclectic tastes in music.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.