Monday, August 22, 2011

An Interesting and Provocative Essay

That would be "An Empty Regard," by William Deresiewicz, in yesterday's NYT.  The essay is about about the "cult of uniform" in America and has some interesting points.  A few excerpts...
NO symbol is more sacred in American life right now than the military uniform. The cross is divisive; the flag has been put to partisan struggle. But the uniform commands nearly automatic and universal reverence. In Congress as on television, generals are treated with awed respect, service members spoken of as if they were saints. Liberals are especially careful to make the right noises: obeisance to the uniform having become the shibboleth of patriotism, as anti-Communism used to be. Across the political spectrum, throughout the media, in private and public life, the pieties and ritual declarations are second nature now: “warriors,” “heroes,” “mission”; “our young men and women in uniform,” “our brave young men and women,” “our finest young people.” So common has this kind of language become, we scarcely notice it anymore. 

[...]
As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have dragged on, other purposes have come into play. The greater the sacrifice that has fallen on one small group of people, the members of the military and their families, the more we have gone from supporting our troops to putting them on a pedestal. In the Second World War, everybody fought. Soldiers were not remote figures to most of us; they were us. Now, instead of sharing the burden, we sentimentalize it. It’s a lot easier to idealize the people who are fighting than it is to send your kid to join them. This is also a form of service, I suppose: lip service. 

[...]
The irony is that our soldiers are the last people who are likely to call themselves heroes and are apparently very uncomfortable with this kind of talk. The military understands itself as a group endeavor. As the West Point professor Elizabeth D. Samet recently noted, service members feel uneasy when strangers approach them to — as the well-meaning but oddly impersonal ritual goes — thank them for their service, thereby turning them into paradoxically anonymous celebrities. It was wrong to demonize our service members in Vietnam; to canonize them now is wrong as well. Both distortions make us forget that what they are are human beings. 
About his last... I'm glad someone finally came out and said it.  Ms. Samet is right... I speak only for myself here but have no doubt my sentiment is not uncommon... that we who served, and currently serve, are more than slightly embarrassed by all this "thank you for your service" stuff.  I know those expressions of thanks and gratitude are well-meant and I really DO appreciate them.  Being a member of the Vietnam generation, I much prefer being embarrassed and at a loss for words in these circumstances than being totally ignored (or worse yet: spat upon), as was the case back in the '60s and '70s.  But forgive me if I shuffle my feet, look down at the ground, and simply murmur "thanks for that" when you offer YOUR thanks.  I, and thousands like me, simply did my duty as we saw fit to do.  Thanks are not required... it was an honor to serve.

But we digress.  I hope you go and read Mr. Deresiewicz' article because he makes some very valid, interesting, and provocative points.  His missive made me think.

Now let's pick a nit.  Here's the illustration that accompanied the article:


WTF is up with THAT?  I find this illustration insulting and offensive to the MAX.  Corporal stripes... brass... where "US" ought to go?  Seemingly random ribbons placed in a haphazard and decidedly NON-military fashion?  And Naval Aviator wings... improperly placed on an ARMY uniform?  At least I think this is supposed to be an Army uniform, but something about it isn't quite right. 

Was the NYT trying to piss off the military with this illustration?  They certainly succeeded, if so.  There are ample photos and graphics extant of real individuals wearing real military uniforms, which could have been cropped to preserve an individual's anonymity.  But, no... the NYT had to go and publish this fucking travesty of an illustration.  But, Hey!  It's the Times, ain't it?  I really shouldn't expect accuracy and respect out of those asshats.

21 comments:

  1. The fact that they made a negro wear that thing, speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of ironic that they would write an article about respecting the uniform, and then do such a job of disrespecting themselves. They probably got this photo from the movie/tv people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His statement "It was wrong to demonize our service members in Vietnam; to canonize them now is wrong as well." sets me off. The demonization of the military during the Vietnam era was done by the Left trying to stop the war and misplaced their energy on the actual Draftee's that were forced to go. And this is an important distinction to todays All Volunteer force. And oh by the way, since we have been at war for 10 long years Men and Women are still joining in droves dispite the fact that the left has been hard at work tying to stop the wars.

    The main point being, at least as far as I feel, that todays armed forces know what they are getting into and join anyway.

    I say Cannonize the lot of them and the Left and NYT be dammed.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah and that picture of the Uniform - the very first ribbon he is wearing is the Vietnam Service Medal indicating two tours (the stars). I am guessing they are tying to show this as a "composite" of the Vietnam service member or Draftee from that era. The Left has maintained for a long time that the Vietnam war was mainly fought by miniorities and Iam guessing that is why the person wearing this get-up is black.

    The Left is so far off-base it is hard to understand how they got to the switches and levers of governance in this country.

    BT: Jimmy T sends (from the Cz).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah, that uniform is all sorts of FUBAR. Looks like something those numb nut imposters wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Anon - and you, of course, Buck. That uniform is a wreck, man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was interesting to me. I don't go out of my way to do it but if I am presented with the easy and unobstrusive opportunity to thank someone who is obviously in or was in the military - I do it. The thanks I give are from my heart. The responses I have received are largely as Buck described his own.

    Should I stop?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good question, Kris. As Buck said, we all know that you mean well, but it is an odd and somewhat uncomfortable feeling. At ballgames an announcer will sometimes make a point to ask service members and veterans to stand up and be recognized, and I've always imagined that only about half of those in attendance actually do stand. If that many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon1: What does the wearer's race have to do with anything? "Volumes?" Elaborate, if you can.

    Lou: I'm thinkin' the author of the essay had absolutely NOTHING to do with choosing the photo. It's the NYT's editors that screwed this up.

    Jimmy: I hesitate to ascribe motives for the picture to the Times, especially as some sorta metaphor for Vietnam. Most of their current editors have a hazy... at BEST... recollection or understanding of that war; they're simply too young.

    Anon2: The impostors do a better job with the uniform than the NYT's asshats.

    Andy: Yup!

    Kris: I second Andy's input on your most interesting question, and I have no pat answer. I suppose it would depend on set and setting. One thing I used to do back when I was still flying is buy a round, anonymously, when I see a group of GIs in an airport bar. These days I simply nod and smile when I see young folks in uniform around town... which happens a lot, given Cannon is in our backyard. It's a sticky wicket, this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you Buck, on not wanting any thanks. It is a privilege to serve and wear the uniform.

    As for that uniform of the Corporal-Captain in a Police Trooper blouse; This is a way to further the liberal lie that only minorities serve in the armed forces because they have no other opportunity available.

    (The Corporal-Captain program was a failure as shown on M*A*S*H)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well,
    I'll weigh in (late as usual) on this one... I'm still active duty and do get the "Thank you..." quite a bit. I respond with a smile and thank them for thanking me. Sometimes (depending on the circumstances) I'll add that it's an honor to serve.
    That's the thing I'm not sure everyone gets... it is indeed an honor. I have the priviledge of leading men and women in support and defense of our country and our way of life. And, I make my living doing it. I can't imagine a more fulfilling way to care for my family.

    My $.02.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll play devil's advocate here, although I'm fairly certain my argument is wrong.

    Could they have used that illustration on purpose as a way to show that most who do the thanking haven't a clue as to what they are being thankful for or to, the uniform being a mish-mash of many different things? Might it have purposely been a bad conglomeration to make a point?

    Probably not. Probably just slipshod work. But, there's the possible argument, I guess.

    (Disclaimer: I wasn't in the military, and I wouldn't have known about many of the inaccuracies without you folks pointing them out. I did immediately think that the medals were sloppily displayed, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darryl: Your theory about the pic is as plausible as any. Last night there were about 130 comments on the essay at the NYT, fully a quarter of them exhibited that leftist thought meme you mention.

    Sam: Well said.

    Jim: Your theory is plausible, too, if overly generous. I still fall down on the "clue-free" side o' thangs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking not only "clue free," but "cares even less."
    In my experience many journalists and their editors are observers rather than participants and, thus, are unfamiliar with many of the finer details, which they consider unimportant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So there is a fascinating dichotomy going on here

    Active military and veterans say it is their honor to serve their country and expect no thanks for it.

    I say it is us - the great, unwashed, safe-in-our-cushy-beds public - who should be honored by the service of our warriors - past, present and future.

    Hunh.

    wv: thewonma - when I first saw that I thought it said thewoman - and I thought, hmm, they got that right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uncle Skip seems pretty close to the mark about the uniform bit, tho MY comment would be: "Different planets"--nay, strike that--"Different Galaxies." It's the old "never the twain shall meet" bit in spades..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Skip: You're on point with your observation. Today's journalists (I should put that in scare quotes) don't have a whole helluva lot o' time for the mundane chore of "fact checking." And it shows in their output.

    Kris: It really IS (or was) our honor to serve. Thanks are not necessary but are welcomed when offered.

    Virgil: Point taken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pepper is with you guys. He also flinches at the overuse of the term, "hero." There are Heroes, and, now, there are heroes. I must agree.

    I still occasionally buy a round and try always to smile and nod in a service member's direction.

    About the uniform -- Army has dumped the hideous old Class A/B greens and gone to a strange new dress blues that almost looks black. It may even be black. But, if the guy in the photo plans to wear the brown Navy aviator shoes to accompany his wings, he's gonna look very, very tacky mixing black and brown.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Roman Catholic Crusader22 August, 2011 22:58

    I have found that the more patriotic a person is, the less chance they ever met an enemy incoming round.

    I mean some retiree's go absolutely way overboard with their patriotism bullshit.

    Look, I understand patriotism, I just don't think you should wear it on your sleeve. Sort of like the Jesus freaks who have to bless every God damned thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have found that the more patriotic a person is, the less chance they ever met an enemy incoming round.

    And how does that relate to the topic posted by Buck? Is a person's patriotism automatically suspect if they never wore a uniform?

    If you don't like patriotic expressions around you - don't look.

    And I call foul on your name. It reads one way but I suspect it really isn't what it seems to be. Your language and attitude are in contravention to being a crusader for any faith.

    ReplyDelete
  21. But, if the guy in the photo plans to wear the brown Navy aviator shoes to accompany his wings, he's gonna look very, very tacky mixing black and brown.

    Heh! I'm glad you and Pepper are of the same mind about the larger issue, Moogie.

    Crusader and Kris: I'll let you two go at it. FWIW, I fall down on Kris' side on this, i.e., "Don't like? Don't look..."

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.