Saturday, August 20, 2011

Broadening Our Horizons XXIX

We're just in from a re-supply and provisioning run out to Cannon Airplane Patch where we bought the essentials:  beer and single-malt.  No, wait... no single-malt this time; we opted for another one of Mr. Walker's high-end blends seein' as how we were suitably impressed with that Johnnie Walker Gold.  So we're gonna try what you see at right during tonight's After Dinner Whiskey Hour.  About which, this:
Four signature malts provide the key taste influences for this 15-year-old whisky. Talisker™ introduces power and depth of character, Caol Ila™ contributes mystery and intensity and, at its heart, Cragganmore™ provides a sweet maltiness, while Linkwood™ adds a final touch of finesse.
Blending exclusively with malts produces a rich, powerful whisky, with each one giving its own intense flavor and aromas to create a perfect combination.

With its rich gold amber appearance, this medium-full malt summons up a multiplicity of complex natural aromas. It starts on the seashore and drifts inland over moist moss and through evergreen forest. Then come the exotic notes of orange peel, stewed peaches, cooked black fruits and sour cherry.
I've had Talisker and Cragganmore before; I've never sampled the other two components of the blend.  The bottle is in the freezer as we speak, gettin' all nice and chilly for its debut here at El Casa Móvil de Pennington.

Oh, one more thang... we bought food, too.  Life ain't all beer and skittles single-malts now, izzit? 

Added, somewhat later:  So... there I was, surfin and lookin' for reviews of JW Green, when I came across this:
Empty glass:
Interestingly when smelling the empty glass after letting it dry on the table for a while there is a sweet smell similar to marijuana.

I know this because I once had marijuana flavoured lollipop which smelled exactly like this only a little stronger.
Heh.  And, like Clinton, I'm sure our reviewer did NOT inhale (and it was a pot-flavored lollipop, besides).  We shall not wash our glass when we're done with ADWH tonight... and I'll be sure and get back to you on the "smells like pot" thang.  I'll know from whence I speak, too... coz, unlike the Big Dog, I most certainly DID inhale once upon a time.  But we don't do that any longer, Gentle Reader.  Our abstinence doesn't come from a sudden attack of morals or respect for dumb-ass laws; no, it's a matter of health.  My lungs, wracked with emphysema as they are, do not need any more tars or other foreign substances fouling up the airways. 

―:☺:―

I don't know what to make of this... 


Is that a Pro-Perry or Anti-Perry cartoon?  On the one hand, one could interpret this as Miss America likes Good Ol' Boys... macho-men... in the Oval Office instead of nerds (think: present occupant, who is a pseudo- or wanna-bee nerd).  OTOH, one could view this as "Mitt The Serious One" while Perry is just a Good Time Charlie.  One thing is certain, though... Mr. Holbert is a DamnYankee (all one word).  Nobody wears their Levis tucked into their boots... NO-Frickin'-BODY... except for foreign rock stars who don't know any better.

7 comments:

  1. As part of the female portion of the American public I see this as both candidates being annoying and not quite what Miss A.P. wants. Her bug eyes say it all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I left out the "none of the above" option and that DID occur to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do wear their Wranglers tucked in when they're mucking out the stable... 'cuz they don't want to eff up that part with unmitigated corral dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to your review of the Green. Talisker might add a little too much peat for my preference.

    And yep -- they both come off as pretty annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (1) Caol Ila is one of my favorite single malts. The 12 year-old is widely available and very good; if you get a chance at the 18 year-old, don't pass it up.

    (2) I also inhaled. I distinctly remember trying never to *exhale*.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I asked my Texas aunt and uncle what they thought of Perry in the Pres race, my aunt said, "He is always dressed in such nice suits and he is always a gentleman....I like him." So, maybe he is a cowboy of sorts, but not.

    I did mention an article on my blog about the Iowa straw poll and Ron Paul - I'd like to know what other folk think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skip: Yeah, there are certain circumstances when you tuck your britches in your boots, but those are the exceptions.

    Moogie: I LIKE The Green!

    Barry: Caol Ila is unobtanium in these parts... but there's always the inner-nets!

    Lou: I'm thinkin' Perry will have an uphill fight with the media, who tend to view ALL Texans through a highly distorted prism.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.