Saturday, July 02, 2011

In Which We Combine Happy and After Dinner Whiskey Hours

I got back from a day trip up to Tucumcari... slightly under 200 miles, round-trip... earlier this evening and immediately adjourned to the verandah to savor a few fingers of that loverly JW Gold and burn a small cigar.  I took a page out of the reviewer's comments I linked (above) and put three fingers of the Gold in the freezer yesterday afternoon, the object bein' to freeze the spirit as suggested by the Johnnie Walker folks on their web site.  Well, sorta.  Mr. Walker's heirs and descendents... or the Diageo folks, acting on their behalf... recommend freezing the entire bottle for 24 hours before drinking.  I'm not willing to go THAT far but I'm all for tryin' new stuff, so we froze a small amount of the Gold before imbibing.  Here's what it looked like after coming out of the freezer:


The results?  Not too shabby!  Freezing seems to enhance the pepper/spice flavors in the drink while not taking a thing away from that wonderful nose.  Freezing also reduces the spirit to a syrupy sorta texture and increases the intensity of the flavors on the palate.  I really liked the latter effect and I might have to do this again in the near future.  The drink stayed pretty danged cold for a rather longish time, all the more surprising considerin' it was 90 degrees out when I took to the verandah.

About that day trip... the object of said trip was to mosey on up to Tucumcari and have a late lunch with DIL Alisa; grand-daughters Anastasia (and husband Alex), Amanda, Ava, and Angelina; and great-grand-offspring Taurean and Aria.  The trip was a great success: we got to spend some quality time (however brief) with all involved and I got to sharpen up my grand-parenting skills, which aren't as rusty as I might think... mainly because I succeeded in making the grandbabies laugh a lot, and that's no mean feat.  DIL Alisa and grand-daughter Amanda took photos of the event and I have it on good authority those should appear in my e-mail box sometime in the near future.  We shall post a couple o' same upon receipt.

So: a fun day.  I only wish I lived closer to the kids... ALL the kids... so this sorta thang could happen more often.  (sigh)

5 comments:

  1. "...only wish I lived closer..."

    Amen!
    We've one in the next county. All of the rest are at least a day trip. At least it's better than when the Washingtonians were at Mayport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could deal with the next county and easily, Skip. Halfway across the continent is quite another story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it elsewhwre,,,
    had I known grandkids were this great, Id'a had them first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day! You should do that more often.

    I hear ya about the proximity thing -- all of mine are in one spot (along with my Daddy), and that one spot is a minimum of 7 hours in the car 9with one pit stop).

    Glad the JW Gold experiment turned out nicely. I may have to try that with some Old New Orleans Cajun Spiced Rum. The frosty glass is tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised at the frosting on the glass, Moogie. But I suppose that happens, even in single-digit humidity. But it was GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.