Wednesday, July 06, 2011

I'm SUCH a Sucker

I prolly should have browsed through my back pages before I went to Amazon this morning because had I done so I would have seen it's only been a mere three years since I bought my dSLR.  The camera isn't really THAT old, as far as cameras go.  As a matter of fact my Powershot G5 is a lil over seven years old and I use that lil thang a lot more than I use the SLR.

All the foregoing didn't stop me from ordering what you see on the left... a Canon T3i... which is an incremental improvement on my current SLR.  I do like the addition of an articulated viewing screen, which is a big part of why the G5 gets more use than my SLR.  There are other bells and whistles on the new body and there are a LOT more megapixels, too.  But those are rather small reasons to upgrade, all things considered.  As the title sez: I'm SUCH a sucker.

4 comments:

  1. One of these days I hope to SHOOT some camera pr0n. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take pictures08 July, 2011 05:21

    I've been a Canon user since the AE-1, and can't stand the user interface of competitors. Thus they have me locked-in.

    I still have one film camera left, but it is a Toyo 4x5, and I haven't used it in five years, nor mixed the chemicals to process the transparencies. It used to be, that magazines only accepted 4x5 transparencies. Now they think you are a whacko.

    I stopped the camera race when they started combining movie and sound. Damnit, I just want a still camera!

    I write the reviewers and Canon every year. I tell them to compare the viewfinder on the camera to an AE-1 as the standard. The AE-1 had a wonderful viewer, with a split focus in the center. The center was magnified, and as you focused you could see the two images line-up. That was the kind of focus you used in non-SLR cameras, so when the Canon AE-1 combined split-focus and Through-The-Lens (TTL) viewing, then we had something better than sex!

    Alas, I use my 20D for everything still, although I bought a G12 for trips and movies. The G12 promptly pissed me off for having no F16 setting. No F16, but can take pictures in the dark. What a trade-off...

    On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the 20D viewfinder a 2. It is half the size of an AE-1 and is designed for people with non-50 year old eyes. Maybe the Japs have smaller eyes I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a REAL photographer, Picture... I'm just a dilettante. I have an old Olympus OM-1 I refuse to part with, even though I haven't run a roll of film through it in over ten years. I carried that thing all over the world and it has a lot of memories attached to it, even as an inanimate object.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.