Sunday, June 05, 2011

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

Waylon... doin' one of my all-time favorite tunes:

I'm gonna find me
a hole in the wall
I'm gonna crawl inside and die
Come a later now
a mean ol' woman, Lord
never told me goodbye
Heh.  Those lyrics cut waaay too damned close to the bone.  It's a funny thang (funny strange, not funny ha-ha), but I was kinda sorta goin' through those ol' "she done me wrong" blues when the Marshall Tucker Band released this song back in the mid-70s.  Little did I know what was to come down the tracks those many years later...

So there's that.  The song has remained a favorite in the intervening years, mainly coz I think it's the finest country blues tune that's EVAH been committed to tape or any other medium.  I've posted the Marshall Tucker Band version of this tune before, which remains the original and best version of the song.  I think Waylon's version is every bit as good as Toy Caldwell's and in some respects exceeds the original... like in the guitar parts.  What's missing, though is that plaintive flute that weaves its way in and out of the MTB's version... which STILL gives me chills.  May it ever be so.

7 comments:

  1. You're right, the flute in the MTB version takes the song to another level worthy of chills and even a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou: Why?

    Red: Ah... a woman after my own heart (about the flute)! I'm not gonna fess up outta potential embarrassment, but I DO hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wrong with some Waylon!

    Although I get the impression that Lou doesn't much care for the man. Kinda of the same feeling I have about Taylor Swift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I think he has little to no talent, but just happen to party with the right people - probably supplied the drugs, which is my second reason for disliking him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH! Lou ain't a Waylon fan. To be honest, neither am I. But, I think he got things right later on in life...at least I hope so.

    Hard to beat MTB, though. Enjoyed the link. Listening as I type.

    Hey Buck, I didn't comment about your mistress riding off with another man. But, at least she'll be well cared for, and enjoyed. That's a good feeling, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BR: I agree with ya about Waylon. AND Swift.

    Lou: Drugs ain't ALL bad! ;-)

    Andy: Lee called me twice from the road yesterday to let me know how things were goin'. He's happy with the Lovely Miss Z and I'm happy he's happy. I couldn't ask for a better home for her.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.