Friday, June 10, 2011

Broadening XXV and Restocking the Humidor


We're enjoying... note that word, enjoying, as opposed to a generic "drinking"... a Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat this afternoon, our first such encounter with this beer.  The consensus vote at Beer Advocate is the beer merits a C+; I'd give it a "B."  It's a little light on the palate compared to the European Wit beers but it's tasty and very drinkable.  I like it.  "Purists," OTOH, look upon this beer as unworthy, mainly because it's brewed by a company whose daily output eclipses the annual production of most craft breweries.  My scare quotes around "purist" refers specifically to those asshats who make comments like this (From a BA review):
Clear gold with a head more akin to 7up.

Weak, pale barley is the dominant flavor with an odd lemon Pledge note right before a tannic, slightly off finish.

I'm growing tired of all these pseudo-craft BMC endeavors. Leave the brewing to the real craftsmen and go back to your chemistry experiments.
Yeah, right.  OK.  We geddit... you don't like Molson-Coors and you're not afraid to say so.  I wouldn't drink a Coors Light if I'd been in the Sahel for five days without water, but that's a criticism of the beer, not the brewery.  I feel pretty much the same way about every "lite" beer out there... the entire lot of them bein' persona non grata here at El 'Muerto en el Agua' Casa Móvil de Pennington... with the exception of Labatt Blue Light, which I think is pretty damned decent.  Not everyone agrees with me about that, tho.  Whatever floats yer boat, eh?

Our  cigar today is a Drew Estate Kuba Kuba and the astute will note we got a boatload of these things in the mail today.  Let me sing the praises of Cigar.com yet again... and most specifically my cigar-bud and dealer, Tim.  Here's why we have what we have on this day:


Note the e-mail was to me and me alone.  I love Cigar.com, mainly for the personalized service and the responsiveness of the folks that work there.  Also note the date/time stamp on the e-mail exchange... the elapsed time from the offer to the stogies bein' in my hot lil hands?  Monday to Friday.  Ya can't beat that with a stick.  If you're a cigar smoker I recommend them.  Highly.

8 comments:

  1. Back in the day, I had two scores for beer... wine, too. They were I would buy that and I wouldn't buy that.
    Of course my druthers was to let someone else pay and by avoiding pompous statements regarding the palate, or nose, or whatever, I found that others would. I also found that after the first two they all tasted pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people place a mighty high value on their opinions. Beers...you like them or you don't.

    Drank a few Pyramid Apricot Ale's tonight. I'm normally not fond of fruity beer, but this is good.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Blue Moon beers - honey wheat sounds right up my alley. Cigars, not so much, but personalized service would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. General Buck, as you know, I'm one of your LBL converts and when the Beer Wars come, I stand ready to follow you into battle against snooty high falutin' critical armies.

    That Blue Moon honey wheat sounds tasty and I'll give it a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I gottaget caught up! The Casa is dead in the water?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer Shock Top Belgian Wheat.....with the orange slice in it.....But on tap only.....the bottle stuff is not near as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skip & BR: We're pretty much on the same page... I either like 'em or I don't, which translates into the "buy" decision.

    Lou: The BM Honey Wheat IS pretty good.

    Dan: The Beer Wars have been raging for quite a while even though casualties are light. Sorta.

    Moogie: El Casa has been a Hangar Queen for about three years now.

    Glenn: You live in a veritable beer paradise. I'm lucky to get Fat Tire on tap here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coors lite???!!!!! WTF. Can it be ANY different than tap water? Isn't the regular Coors "lite" enough? Hell, drink THAT stuff long enough and IT too begins to taste like tap water as it is..

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.